2.2

2010 Subaru Legacy drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Subaru Legacy:

2010 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Nov 162016

Legacy

Issue: When slowing down and then during final braking (such as at a stop sign or traffic light and also when applying the brakes to avoid a dangerous situation at speed on the highway) the car will "shudder" and then the engine will stall and stop running. This is particularly dangerous in traffic if it is necessary to get off the road. The car was brought to brewster, NY Subaru (845 278 8300) and the technician claimed it did not show any codes on the computer. I then asked for a drive with the service manager and then he was able to replicate the issue several times. After never having road tested the car until I asked for it they came back with the guess that it was the torque converter. Cost to fix aprox. $1770.I understand that there was a service bulletin issued on this, but I never received it. I also never received a recall notice. Considering the danger of this fault, I believe there should have been a recall. The car currently has aprox. 88,000 miles. Subaru should be responsible for the repair.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Oct 292016

Legacy

Problem is with the torque convertor similar to bulletin number 16-90-13R issued by Subaru involving Legacy and outback models from 2010-2012. My car has been stalling when coming to a hard stop. Just had my car to Firestone and they diagnosed the problem and referenced the bulletin. They recommend taking to a transmission shop or Subaru dealer for repair. As this is a common problem among my car model and year I would have expected to see a recall for this as it is a potentially dangerous condition to stall at lights or stop signs. I believe Subaru should be responsible for these repairs.

- Hazle Township, PA, USA

Mar 012015

Legacy

When you suddenly brake, the car stalls and engine shuts off. You have to put car in park, and crank the car back on to proceed, which obviously is a safety issue whilst in traffic. This is a known issue according to numerous blogs and websites. This is an issue with a faulty torque converter in Subaru. I even went to the dealer which they admitted it is not a recall but a technical advisory, which due to the safety concern it should be a recall.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Legacy

Vehicle stalls or engine dies whenever it comes to a complete stop. It happens all day, cold and hot weather. Driver must switch gear from drive to neutral position in order to prevent stalling. This process should not be done on an automatic transmission. No error codes registers on the dash and vehicle starts right away after it stalls. This is an on going problem for Subaru owners base on Subaru forums and threads. Please investigate since this could be a faulty part in transmission and could cause injury, accidents and fatality on drivers.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 032015

Legacy 4-cyl

I parked my car after traveling about 100 miles. I was sitting still with the engine running. I have a manual (6 speed) transmission, and the car was in reverse, but the clutch was in all the way and my foot was off the accelerator and on the brake. Suddenly, without any warning, I heard a noise and the engine quickly started to rev and the tachometer went all the way to the red line. After I recovered from the surprise, I tried to kick off the engine by depressing the accelerator quickly and releasing it. My action had no effect. I then turned the engine off with the key and it cut off. I have driven the car today and not had any recurrence of this nor have I had any instance of this type prior to last night.

- Wake Fores, NC, USA

Nov 072014

Legacy 4-cyl

My car stalls when I come to a stop. It is an automatic cvt car. He happens all the time. Could cause an accident when I stop and then accelerate.

- Paxton, MA, USA

Nov 142012

Legacy 4-cyl

Vibrations occur when exceeding 50 mph. These vibrations extend to the steering wheel, floor, and driver and passenger seats and increase as speeds becoming enhanced in speeds over 70mph. No accidents and regular dealer service. Have had multiple balances, alignments and 2 new sets of tires to no avail. Car presently in dealer repair for greater than 8 weeks trying to fix problem. I was informed that the entire front suspension needed to be replaced.

- Millstone Township, NJ, USA

Aug 012013

Legacy 4-cyl

Problems with electronic throttle control or throttle bodys causes the vehicle to hesitate for several seconds upon initial acceleration. This has nearly resulted in accidents on several occasions when merging or pulling out into traffic. Problem of vehicle stalling when stopping at a light started at the same time (related problem). Drives fine under all other conditions. Dealer unable to assist.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jan 202010

Legacy 4-cyl

We purchased the car new, December, 2009. Dealer is over an hour drive from home in another state. Car is pampered and kept in garage when not being used. Just in a couple months developed a pronounced thump in the rear under the car. Intermittent, and there is a feel of the car vibrating or shimmying, if very slightly at the same time. We back out of driveway into street turning wheel to left, straighten, drive forward 80 feet to the stop sign. Accelerate and turn to the right, there is a thump from under the rear of the car. Next stop to the right it doesn't do it. Only at the next turn to the left does it make the same thump. We took everything possible that might roll, out of the car, and it still does it. Cannot seem to duplicate at the dealer. The first service we expressed concern, they looked at it and said they tightened a bushing. They have had the car 4 times since for other issues of rattles and noises, a couple recalls for defective hose and wiring and recently blue-tooth failure which we are still going around with them. They replaced sound deadening in the doors because it harmoniously vibrated at the pitch of scraping finger nails on the chalkboard, and give me the deer in the headlight look when I mention the first service and the term, bushing. When I take coworkers out to lunch, they say, what was that noise (thump), so I know I'm not imagining it. My concern is that something in the suspension is shifting back and forth, side to side, and something is going to fail, causing loss of control or death. Makes me afraid to drive car. 14 months of ownership and we only have 8,650 miles on the car, so it's not like we abuse it.

- Warrenton, OR, USA