2011 Subaru Legacy brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Legacy:

2011 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Jul 042016

Legacy

The 2011 Subaru Legacy has an electronic parking brake. After a few years, the brake mechanism broke and wouldn't "turn on" or "switch off". this was terribly unsafe and cost over $800 dollars to fix. The vehicle was stationary.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Mar 022016

Legacy

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact stated that while depressing the brake pedal, the brakes failed to respond. As a result, the contact rear ended another vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The contact stated that the vehicle could be driven to the contacts residence, however the contact became aware of the power steering belt snapped causing the vehicle to be difficult to maneuver. The contact then stated that the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was awaiting repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000. Updated 05/17/16

- Wellesley, MA, USA

Nov 182015

Legacy

About 2 months ago I was braking for a stop light. While I was braking (from about 35mph) I ran over some bumps in the road, at that time the pedal suddenly went to the floor. Luckily there was no one in font of me. I drove to a parking lot to park the car. The brake pedal had little resistance going to the floor as I pumped on the pedal. I had the car towed to the dealer to be serviced. The tow truck driver also mentioned the brakes are non existent at that time. The dealer could not find anything wrong with the brake system. However today (18nov2015) the car experienced the same issue. The conditions was wet. As I braked to a stoplight, I hit a bump and the pedal went to the floor. I felt the ABS kick in for a split second. The car will be going back to the dealer for another inspection. I would suspect they wont find anything wrong.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Aug 102015

Legacy

Whenever the brake is pressed hard to a complete stop, the car stalls and all electrical shut off. It doesnt seem to happen when you brake very slow before coming to a full stop. But if you brake slowly and then pressed the pedal full, the problem will occur. This can cause panic and also delay on cars running behind the car. It appears this is similar problem reported under 10395739. I also found a number of similarly reported problems online with Subaru cars.

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 252015

Legacy 4-cyl

For the past 2 months my Subaru Legacy has been stalling and losing power when I roll to a stop and/or when suddenly braking. Almost got rear ended by semi truck on the freeway and multiple times at stop lights in foggy situations. Subaru dealership said if it was an annoyance I should bring it in. Almost dying in a Subaru with my daughters is more than an annoyance. Dealership has known about it but performed a throttle body service, which was futile. Online forums suggest a faulty torque converter and a service#16-90-30. Quotes for replacing it are around $2000. Subaru knows it is due to faulty design of torque converter...this should be recalled. I used to love Subaru and this car, I am now forced to take a loss financially and buy a safer car. Completely unsafe.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 042014

Legacy

I was coming to a red light slowing down from 15 mph while applying the brakes, the car acts like something is grabbing & it shuts down the motor. The car was not cold it was warmed up & drove about 28 miles before doing this. The skid light came on. It was a dry road. This car has done it several times. I have searched this on the internet & have seen others saying the same thing has happened with their Subaru. Its scary to think this might happen to me on one of our slick roads going off a hill. I have not had it checked out yet do to the holiday season. It does not happen every time I drive it. I have noticed while applying the breaks when it starts feeling like the rotors are grabbing if you ease off just a little and then apply again the car will not shut off it will stay running. I have shut off the skid protection and drove it & still it will do this and the skid light will show up. On the internet it says it could be the icv valve. But im not sure that has anything to do with the skid protection. I bought the car this summer & I had the dealer ship to put new breaks and rotors on it before I bought it. Had no trouble at all with this until last month. I just had the oil and filter changed this week. There are no service lights staying lit. & it still does this. I will be getting this checked out. A guy mentioned that it could be the transmission. This car is an automatic & does have the manual transmission shifters on the steering wheel. The car was in the automatic mode when this happened it is not drove in the manual side. Im thinking I should try driving in the manual side to see if it will do this. I've had no complaints with any of my other Subaru weve owned. I have never had this problem with them. However I have never owned one with the skid protection or in the 2000 model until this one.

- Rock Cave, WV, USA

Jun 262013

Legacy 4-cyl

I have been having problem with my 2011 Subaru Legacy for over eight months, my car would just stop in the middle of the street without any warning, I took the car to the service center, after several tries they decided to replace the transmission with a remanufacturing one my car still having trouble, whenever I start the vehicle and move from park to reverse, its a hard shift and the car shakes like its going to stall, also from reverse to drive, I have taking my car back and they told me that's normal, there is nothing normal about that, when I bought the car brand new that problem never existed, my car have 32, 800 miles now, everytime I take my car I loose a day from work, please help!

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Nov 132012

Legacy

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph the brakes engaged and locked up. The contact mentioned that all the warning lights illuminated on the instrumental panel immediately after. The vehicle was unable to be driven and was later towed to a dealer. After diagnosis they advised her that the failure was due to the gas cap tearing and the transmission motor mount had a leak. The vehicle was repaired for the gas cap only. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised her that there were no similar issues. The failure and current mileage was approximately 23,500.

- Wyoming, PA, USA