2011 Subaru Legacy seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Legacy:

2011 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Nov 052016

Legacy

Taka recall received a safety recall from Subaru around June 10, 2016. It has now been five months since we received the recall that stated that no passengers should sit in the front seat of the car. Five months is unacceptable for a recall that affects passengers from sitting in the front seat of a car. This needs to be remedied by Subaru immediately as it has affected our ability to use this vehicle as a family car.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Jul 162016

Legacy

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Holden, MA, USA

Jul 012016

Legacy

Takata recall I have contacted both Subaru and the local dealer requesting service multiple times. Ive been told there is no timeline to replace the passenger airbag, however have been told that no passenger should ride in the front seat until this is corrected. Failure to fix/replace in a timely manner.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 142016

Legacy

Takata recall - parts still not available.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Aug 202016

Legacy

I had a 2011 Subaru legacy2.5;at 1130 am, I was pulling into a parking space at a local convenience store near us that we often go to, when suddenly on turning right into the space I heard the engine "rev"at a fast speed even though I had lifted my foot from the accelerator.(I used to drive a manual shift, and it reminded me of the sound an engine would make when trying to upshift too fast between gears)before I could react the car surged forward into the space, and I was barely able to slam the brake before it covered the 6 to 8 feet and hit a guard post, crumbling the front end to where the engine is bent and the car a total loss. The airbags did not deploy.(fortunate, as when I returned home I found the letter from Subaru that my car was part of the takata recall)interestingly, the engine still started and the car was drive-able, despite the radiator being cracked in half(we were able to park it after having it towed). I looked up the symptoms I experienced and feel that there may have been issues with the electronic throttle control mechanism or the app(which senses the position of the accelerator, as I am sure you know)my check engine light never went on.the car had acted as if it had idling issues a couple of times but not with regularity, and it had never stalled or displayed any other warning of this. I had just driven the car about 7 miles before this happened. I will never buy another Subaru;I have had other cars with troubles in the past but this is by far the most dangerous.I am just thanking the lord that the airbags didn't deploy and we weren't crushed(my 17 year old daughter was in the passenger seat).and, the car only had 24,350 miles on it! practically new condition!sad, because I really liked this car.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Aug 012016

Legacy 4-cyl

Takata recall: I am concerned with driving my vehicle with the takata airbags installed. Even though the airbags are on the passenger side, I am afraid the deployment of the airbags would still affect me as the driver. I am writing this complaint because I cannot access a rental car due to my age. I am 21 years old and am unable to access a rental car from my dealership due to my age. My dealership would be willing to rent and pay for a car if I were the proper age of 25. What concerns me about this is that I could be seriously injured as a driver if the airbags still deploy. I personally believe the dealership or rental companies need to make exceptions for those under the age of 25. I don't know what that exceptions would be, but I am afraid to drive others, let alone myself, in a car that is considered unsafe at the moment. I greatly appreciate the fact this safety complaint exists, but I would appreciate it even more if I were provided a car for the mean time so I may keep myself and others safe within my car. I do not speak for just myself, but I speak for those who are under 25 and face the same fears when driving their cars with these airbags. Thank you for your time, and hope to hear something soon.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Aug 022016

Legacy

Subaru of America's recall campaign: Tka-16, NHTSA no. 16V-358 states that: The parts are not available to fix the airbag problem. Their letter also states: ¿until this repair is performed, do not allow passengers to ride in the front passenger seat.¿ however they have not authorized the dealerships to manually turn the airbags off while they wait on parts. The NHTSA should immediately enact a ruling that Subaru do this immediately.

- Ravena, NY, USA

Jul 252016

Legacy

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Syosset, NY, USA

Jul 082016

Legacy

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable time frame to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The dealer indicated that the vehicle was number ten on the waiting list for the repair. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact was not experiencing a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- West Dennis, MA, USA

Jul 292016

Legacy

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bag) and felt that the part expected availability date was unreasonable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Mar 022016

Legacy

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact stated that while depressing the brake pedal, the brakes failed to respond. As a result, the contact rear ended another vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The contact stated that the vehicle could be driven to the contacts residence, however the contact became aware of the power steering belt snapped causing the vehicle to be difficult to maneuver. The contact then stated that the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was awaiting repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000. Updated 05/17/16

- Wellesley, MA, USA

May 272015

Legacy

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. While driving approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the radio became inoperable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V283000 (steering). The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Marlboro , NJ, USA

Mar 062015

Legacy 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Legacy. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle crashed into the rear end of another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy until 4 or 5 seconds later. Prior to the air bag deploying, burning fumes emitted into the vehicle. The contact did not indicate if a police report was filed or if any injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician was not able to determine why the air bags deployed with a delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 63,000. Updated 4/30/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Updated 10/23/15

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jan 132012

Legacy 4-cyl

Passenger air bag sensor indicator light will intermittently show indicator as off with occupant in passenger seat (weight approx. 110 pounds). Passenger removes all weight from seat and reapplies weight in same position and/or reset procedure detailed in manual performed and sensor will usually come back on. Vehicle has visited authorized repair facility on three occasions regarding issue and first two visits repair attempt made in form of "re-zeroing weight sensor" (first attempt) and "passenger occupant detection sensor calibration procedure" (second attempt). Third visit was told by service manager that part is performing within Subaru specifications. Called soa customer service today and spoke to supervisor who said part was performing within specifications (and federal safety specs) due to authorized facility last stating as such despite still having issues. Supervisor explained sensitivity and nuances of system but was not to my satisfaction as light will be off and then come on after resuming same position after removing and reapplying weight. Told supervisor that was unsatisfactory that I would submit complaint to NHTSA and possibly write congress-person for investigation/help. Was then told issue would be escalated to senior representative who would contact me next day.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 012011

Legacy 4-cyl

Front passenger airbag sensor does not detect when a 150 pound 5 foot 1 adult is sitting in front passenger seat. Airbag light says off. Moving around in the seat makes no difference.

- Greensburg , PA, USA