2014 Subaru Legacy engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Legacy:

2014 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

May 222014

I purchased my brand new 2014 Subaru Legacy on May 16th 2014. About one week later I was driving up the slight incline of the driveway of the apartment house where I live. As I reached the street I stepped on the accelerator to turn out into the traffic and the car completely lost power. About 5 seconds later the power returned and the car responded normally when I stepped on the accelerator pedal and I was able to drive the car normally. Three or four days later the same thing happened again while I was driving in traffic, as I tried to accelerate the car's engine lost power when I stepped on the accelerator. This same loss of power now happens about two or three times each week. I currently have about 2500 miles on the car. I have taken it to my local Subaru dealership on three separate occasions for this complaint and they have kept the car for a total of about thirty day for observation, testing, and repair but they have been unable to reproduce or solve the problem and can find nothing wrong with my car. They warned me about driving with two feet because if the brake is applied at the same time as the accelerator a problem like this could occur but I do not drive using both feet and have always driven using only one foot.

- Erie, PA, USA

Sep 132013

Vehicle had a 2-5 seconds acceleration hesitation. Taking off from a yield sign and going across a hwy, the car had enough power to roll forward. Tried flooring the accelerator, but also did not respond to full throttle until after a few seconds the car started to slowly move. The engine is on low rpms and does not launch forward as to indicate a transmission issue..... it looks more like a fuel delivery or throttle sensor issue. I also had this same issue with a 2013 Subaru impreza (traded in the impreza thinking it was a quirk with the car). Subaru dealer was not been able to reproduce the issue on the impreza or the on the Legacy. No error codes present. I contacted Subaru of America, I was instructed to take the car (Legacy) to the dealer. The technician was not asked to attach any kind of diagnostic equipment to possibly capture valuable data in the event that the issue was reproduced. When the problem has manifested, I have accelerated from a complete stop or from a slow rolling yield, then 2 - 5 second delay in acceleration - very slow roll forward. I shared this information with the dealer. My family and I almost got hit a few weeks ago by a car going around 60 mph and I was almost hit when driving the impreza (let the car roll back to avoid being hit - I was on small incline leaving my neighborhood and trying to merge onto a hwy). Many Subaru owners are having the same issue (old / new vehicles). There are some blogs where customers mention having been in an accident because of this issue and plenty of blogs where customers report the problem and frustration when the problem cannot be reproduced and are sent home without a fix. How can help communicate the importance of the issue to Subaru before a fatality?

- Round Rock, TX, USA