1998 Subaru Outback fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Subaru Outback:

1998 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Aug 012011

Outback 4-cyl

As my wife and I were filling up our 98 Subaru legacy Outback we noticed a smell of gas fumes on the way home as I backed the car into the driveway I noticed the smell of fuel even stonger. I went to the back and looked under the right rear and to my surprise the fuel filler neck was leaking fuel!! I placed a oil change pan underneath and to this day I still haven't fixed it. Don't know were to begin with it and I'm thinking it's a design flaw seems like there is heavy corrosion on the very low part of the filler pipe and that's were it's leaking from. I'm going to try and have it repaired but at what cost. I think that this should be addressed to and by Subaru of North America as a potentially dangerous design flaw and legal liabilty.

- Patterson, NY, USA

Jun 052006

Outback 4-cyl

The gas fill pipe leaks gasoline. There is a plastic shield next to it that catches dirt, sand, etc and then keeps the outside of the pipe wet for weeks after any rainy drive. This led to the pipe rusting out and leaking gasoline on the road, driveway and garage.

- Elmira, NY, USA