2002 Subaru Outback miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Outback:

2002 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Oct 062015

I bought car Oct 6; first inspection appointment at my usual garage mon Oct 12- failed due to rusty suspect brake connection. Seller had me take to his dealer- mastria Subaru in raynham. They put a paint/coating over rusty area. I was pretty skeptical but brought car to my garage in vt Monday Oct 19 and the leaky brake fluid much more clearly visible- due to smoother (though bumpy from oxidation below) paint surface. I also saw leaking coolant, leaks in oil pan, and a crack in muffler pipe just engine side of muffler (it had been getting noisier and noisier) my mechanic pointed out the timing belt gasket was missing and one bolt 'missing' ; it was sticking out of another 'hole' that was for a fully threaded bolt. The seller has sent long-winded insulting E-mails and states I must return car to him to have the same dealer service it. I am taking it to a&M, 400 mystic ave, somerville this morning near me! for estimate today. There's a reject sticker from reading petroleum on it- I didn't know MA & vt had reciprocal status- but I think the vt inspection is more stringent, safer and comprehensive

- Cambridge, MA, USA