1. replace head gasket (2 reports)
  2. resurface head gasket (1 reports)
2003 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Subaru Outback:

2003 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Oct 202010

I contacted Subaru and complained 5 times. They finally said they wanted proof of all my invoices for oil changes. I produced every copy all done between 2900 - 3200 miles with synthetic oil & dealership oil . I sent all invoices to them (which took time). Then I waited and waited for a call and finally after 30 days I begin calling them and left msg after msg to return my calls. Finally I got through to them and HE said they refused to do anything! REASON was not oil changes done at a Subaru dealership. WHAT A DAM COP OUT!

- , Zumbro Falls, USA

Apr 102004

My first blown head gasket at 35,000miles and dealership pulled head gasket and resurfaced it. My dealership resurfaced the blown head gasket and I had to rent a car .

- , Zumbro Falls, USA

Mar 012011

The head gasket blew with only 35,000 miles on it. After several trips to the dealer they FINALLY fixed it free, but not without a lot of unnecessary grief. I'm afraid it will blow again and will NEVER get another Subaru. I don't see what people like in them, they have horrible gas mileage and known head gasket problems.

- , San Luis Obispo, CA, USA