2004 Subaru Outback seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Subaru Outback:

2004 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jul 082016

Outback

Takata recall: I was notified in July 2016. I have not received any notification from Subaru or the dealer that the part has become available. I have called both Subaru and the dealer. I have waited three months, that is too long.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Aug 012016

Outback

The contact owns a 2004 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V361000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 172016

Outback

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2004 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V361000 (air bags). The part to the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Morgan, UT, USA

Jul 012016

Outback

The contact owns a 2004 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Jul 222016

Outback

Takata recall - I was notified of the recall in July of 2016. There has been no effort by the manufacturer to provide a remedy in the form of the replacement airbag. The recall notice stated I should not allow anyone to ride in the passenger seat until the recall work is complete. This is an unreasonable solution for a problem with a passenger vehicle as it prevents my use of the vehicle as designed and as purchased. The manufacturer must be required to commit to completing the recalls in a timely manner, such as 60 to 90 days.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 222016

Outback

"takata recall" received a letter telling me the air bags are going to be replaced, "do not let passengers use the seat", no date for replacement, no parts in stock, does this absolve the company of any liability" cant take any trips with more than 2 passengers that would have to sit in the rear seats? what options are left for me to use my vehicle for taking my family anywhere??"

- West Allis, WI, USA

Aug 292016

Outback

Takata recall: Remedy not to drive car with passengers until replacement parts are available is one that has me wondering if I need to seriously consider getting rid of the car and get another that I can use. Can we be provided at least with some sort of estimation of 'when' parts are forecasted to be available?

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Aug 032016

V

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Aug 012016

Outback

Subaru has issued a recall on passenger airbags (NHTSA recall no. 16V-359). The parts are not available, there is no schedule of when they may be, and the vehicle owner is instructed to not allow passengers in the front seat. This is an unacceptable, unsafe solution. In addition, the website for information listed does not work. They are unable to remedy my vehicle in a reasonable amount of time.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 202015

Outback 4-cyl

I cannot determine if my vehicle is on the tikata airbag recall list. The dealer says it isn't. the NHTSA site says it is, the VIN shows it isn't specifically. My question is if the 2004 Outbacks are included in the recall or if the NHTSA info is wrong....please advise.....updated 10/02/15 updated 12/28/15

- Broadlands, VA, USA

Apr 132015

Outback

The contact owns a 2004 Subaru Outback. While attempting to start the vehicle, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Little Neck, NY, USA

Nov 192014

Outback 4-cyl

My Subaru has the takata air bag and there has been no recall. Subaru has not responded to my request to replace this dangerous, defective air bag system.

- D, CO, USA

Nov 062014

Outback 4-cyl

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site reflects my vehicle identification number as one listed in the air bag recall alert. Checking with my dealer's service manager at goldstein Subaru, in albany, N.Y. and he assures me my vehicle is not subject to the recall. Last week I sent two E-mails to Subaru requesting clarification and have received no reply. Please let me know what in god's name is going on. I have had this car for 10 and 1/2 years and it is in very good shape. My wife will not sit in the front passengers seat until this is cleared up. '

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

Oct 312014

Outback 6-cyl

Subaru has not responded to my request for replacement of the defective takata air bag in my car.

- Durango, CO, USA

Oct 012014

Outback

S10 appropriate handling- letter to the secretary from constituent re requesting a national recall on all cars that have or may have defective takata airbags.

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Sep 152008

Outback

With your approval, I had an aoi electrical air bag switch installed on my 2004 Subaru Outback. The air bag error light will not reset and Subaru has informed them that all air bags may be immobilized as well as the seat belt tensioners. I cannot seem to get aoielectrical to attend to the problem.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jun 072006

Outback

2002 L.L. bean Outback accelerated uncontrollably, making the vehicle vibrate. Vehicle went up over parking barriers and shrubbery and rolled over. The air bags did not deploy during the accident. The consumer complained of body pain, but refused medical treatment. The police officer stated in his report that the vehicle was found in the reverse position. The consumer stated she never took her foot off the brake. The consumer and her husband had experienced problems prior to the accident. The consumer experienced a hesitation in shifting and variation in engine speed.

- Arnold, CA, USA