2.4

2005 Subaru Outback miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Subaru Outback:

2005 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Feb 152016

Outback

Rear hatch does not lock.

- Suisun City, CA, USA

Jan 132011

Outback 4-cyl

Car is not safe on packed snow or icy roads. All road feel is gone and it feels as if the car could spin out of control at any moment. Most other cars seem to pass without issue. For a AWD car this is unacceptable. You must slow down to 40 and below to have any hopes of keeping the car in a straight line. I have put nokia snow tires on the and car drives perfect in fresh snow but still cannot drive in slippery conditions. I have not noticed this on wet pavement. Subaru feels like an alignment will correct the problem. Going in for one in a week. If it does not fix the issue I will sell the car. I found many owners with the same issue on subaruoutback.org.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Jan 172009

Outback

I have several times experienced what is known as "ghost walking" while driving my 2005 Subaru Outback 2.4I. I have driven under the same conditions with the car minimally loaded. Only on the times that the car was loaded with more than 2 passengers and their belongings did I experience "ghost walk." On those times I was driving my Outback on snow or ice covered road. I was driving at a steady rate of speed with consistent pressure on the gas. The rear of the vehicle would begin to pitch back and forth as if being blown by a heavy wind. There was no wind on those occasions, or not sufficient to cause the to sway the way it did. It felt as though the rear of the vehicle was attempting to pass the front. I slowed down each time, even though the road surface conditions did not dictate it. I was passed by 2 wheel drive vehicles, because my car felt unstable and unsafe to drive. I have never experienced this while the car was lightly loaded under the same road conditions.

- Seattle, WA, USA