2007 Subaru Outback brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Subaru Outback:

2007 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jan 292014

Outback 4-cyl

Refer to NHTSA complaint 10558038 vehicle was driven a couple of times on good dry roads after December complaint about rear end stability and traction problems. On Jan 29th, mid morning driver was driving with 1 passenger on a slightly snow covered gravel road. Vehicle in front of him turned off and when he accelerated to approximately 35 mph with slight throttle pressure, he stated "the car started driving itself and became totally uncontrollable." He said "it spun around one way then the other" before going through a ditch, running through a fence and into a railroad tie post. He said that he had tried every thing possible to avoid the crash and could not figure out what had happened. This is the same driver in previous complaint that is a ex-race car driver, has had numerous spin outs at high speeds on the track and is also a professional truck driver. He drove an old 2 wheel drive pickup truck later that day under worse road and weather conditions and did not have any problems. The car was drivable to get it home. On the way to the body shop, 40 mph it again started swaying back and forth erratically when he drove over a patch of ice on the road. The car is at the body shop with over $3000 damage. Bags did not deploy.

- Farmington, WA, USA

Dec 212013

Outback 4-cyl

This is the 5th Subaru I have owned in my life and have not had any problems with any of them with stability in snow and ice. I am a professional driver and have driven in all weather conditions in 2 wheel drive vehicles and 4. I purchase this car in June of 2012 and always felt that it was not stable on the road. When the snow fell, I was testing the road conditions on very dry crunchy snow, when I turned the vehicle to go around a left corner. (this is something my other 2001 Subaru Outback has no problems with.) the vehicle started to turn and the rear end came undone and the car slid into a 4 wheel skid. It felt as though the whole rear end had lost any traction. It took acceleration to get it to engage again. Both of my Subaru's have all season radials that are in great shape. Later in December my husband (who is also a professional driver) and I were traveling down the freeway at 55 mph, the outside temperature was 38 degrees and the road surface was wet. We had just a few groceries in the back of the car and it was not heavily loaded. We hit a slight bump in the road and the car started swaying and wobbling like on icy roads. He was able to bring the car under control, but both of us were shocked at how unstable it was. We again checked the road surface and it was not icy. I have also encountered instability in snow and slush, that is not normal to the Subaru Outback. My other car has no problems like this. These cars should be recalled.

- Farmington, WA, USA