1.8

2009 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Subaru Outback:

2009 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Sep 172016

Outback

While driving the engine suddenly died. Luckily we were on a lightly traveled road and were able to pull off to the side. The engine would start, run for about one second, then die. While waiting on a tow truck, a gearhead-type friend that I had called to take my wife home arrived, thought about the problem a bit, and unplugged the maf sensor. The engine ran great. It turned out that a defective air filter had allowed debris to clog the sensor. My complaint is that an invalid reading from a non-critical sensor should not be allowed to pull the engine fuel/air/timing parameters so far off that the engine will not run. Obviously the engine computer knows approximately what those values should be since it ran great with the sensor disconnected. Sensor readings beyond what would reasonably be expected should be ignored. We were lucky that we were on a country road when this occurred. Had we been in the middle lane of a busy freeway, or darting across four lanes of busy traffic, this could have been a disaster.

- Goode, VA, USA

Feb 282012

Outback

Air bags have become disabled due to either the switch in the seat or in the overhead console. The engine also consumes an enormous amount of oil (has since new) about 2 quarts every oil change or 3000 miles sometimes more

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Jan 112016

Outback

2009 Subaru Outback head gasket seepage. This issue soa has been awhere of and said it can be normal over time. Yet I found that the gasket used at that time was substandard. A recall was never issued. I feel it should have notified customers, but did`nt. Perhaps it would have cost soa a ton of money. I believe they are dealing with this as customer complaints come in and told replacement of gasket is required at owners expense.I feel that soa should own up to this and pay all or a major cost of repair. I have to have my head gaskets replaced as told under inspection.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 072015

Outback

Car turns over but will not start.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Sep 052014

Outback

The contact owns a 2009 Subaru Outback. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle started to make an abnormal noise and the check engine warning light and cruise control warning light illuminated. The vehicle decelerated and was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the engine fluid was leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 149,000.

- Vernon, NJ, USA

Sep 222014

Outback

Head gasket failure on 2009 Outback wagon which as been serviced regularly.

- Knoxville, TN, USA