3.6

2011 Subaru Outback lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Outback:

2011 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 082016

Outback

Purchased Subaru Outback 2011 new. At approximately 65,000 miles low beam front headlights began to burn out quickly: 4 replaced over about 14 months. Experienced an episode 1/8/16 where all front lights completely failed in the park and drive position but left low beam headlight worked intermittently when car was in reverse. All front headlights but 2 worked the following day when at the dealership. Brake/rear car lights also stopped working intermittently during the time the auto experienced total front high, parking and low beam failure. Whether or not rear car lights worked was also affected by whether car was in drive, park or reverse at times.this did not happen the following day at dealership. Remedy :switch for brake lights was replaced: They felt it could be sticking at times thus causing the back lights intermittent failure and the 2 front headlight bulbs which were burned out were replaced.

- Albrightsville, PA, USA

Jan 162016

Outback

Low beam headlight bulbs fail prematurely. Necessary to frequently replace (less than 12 month service life).

- South Park, PA, USA

Dec 082015

Outback

Headlights on 2011 Subaru Outback continue to blow. Replaced all front lights multiple times. Reckless endangerment of their customers and will cause crashes as lights go out while driving vehicle. So far only one has gone out at a time for I am not holding my breath. Appears that this is a very common issues that Subaru fails to stand behind the issue. Customers should not be forced into purchasing only Subaru replacement product to achieve safety. This sounds like extortion since it appears the only answer is to purchase Subaru original bulbs. This is getting frustrated and I do not hear or see of a recall for the problem. I see alot of complaints, but again, no recalls to fix the problem. Subaru keeps taking my money to fix the problem

- St Anthony Village, MN, USA

Dec 012015

Outback

Headlights on 2011 Subaru Outback since owning it has blown out 3 times and pointer light has gone out 1 time. I am not sure if I am driving or if they blow when I put the lights on. This is getting frustrated and I do not hear or see of a recall for the problem. I see alot of complaints, but again, no recalls to fix the problem. Subaru keeps taking my money to fix the problem. Will not be buying anymore Subaru's.

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Nov 272015

Outback

Subaru Outback headlamp light bulbs burn out every 6 weeks or so even after careful replacement. There are many many complaints on this safety issue. Yet no recallordered? I don't get it!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 202015

Outback

I have had to replace my headlight 6 times in the past 6 months. I replaced it last week and noticed today it is already out again. There needs to be a recall on this vehicle because every time I have to replace a bulb it is $40 with labor and cost of bulb.

- Portsmouth, RI, USA

Nov 022015

Outback

Our 2011 Subaru Outback premium 2.5I has had to have both low-beam headlights replaced numerous times. Only the low-beam lights need to be replaced so often. I have done it myself several times, but accessing the light bulbs is a difficult process that requires going through the wheel well and doing everything by feel because it is impossible to see what you are doing. Now I just have a repair shop do it when I have it in for regular maintenance. It is getting old saying, "oh yeah, can you replace my headlight that is out, too." There are numerous reports of headlight issues on various venues on the internet, and I have friends with a slightly older Outback who have had both headlights go out at the same time. This is a fundamental piece of safety equipment that should not need to be replaced multiple times a year. In my 2003 Kia rio, I have replaced headlights a total of two times in 12 years. On my Outback, I think I am up to 8 headlight replacements (I have lost count) in 5 years. I fear that some night when my wife and children are driving home both headlights will go out and their safety will be jeopardized. I urge Subaru to issue a recall for this dangerous issue.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 122012

Outback

Head lights continually burning out

- Mokena, IL, USA

May 052014

Outback

Burnout of front headlamps....twice in 6 months....when they are working they don't emit enough light......I have read many complaints from other owners about this issue.....why doesn't suburu address this....it is a huge safety issue!?

- Gearhart, OR, USA

Sep 292015

Outback

I have replaced the driver side low beam light now twice within 4000 miles. This is very concerning.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 242015

Outback

I purchased the car (2011 Outback) new in October of 2011. Since then headlights have been replaced at least 4 times and now (September 2015) other exterior lights are starting to fail. It appears this is a common problem. I replaced the driver's side headlight less than a month ago and it is already burned out again. This is a repeated problem and it seems that we're getting less and less life out of the headlights as time goes on. The Subaru dealer seems to think this is just an effect of driving with the headlights on (what am I supposed to do, drive without light?) and not an actual problem with the car.

- Damascus, MD, USA

Sep 032012

Outback

I have replaced my headlight bulbs 3 times for each headlight and I only have 88,000 miles on my car.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 192012

Outback

My vehicle is only 4 years old and I've replaced the low beam bulbs 4 times. It is not driven in harsh conditions and I average 14-15000 miles per year. The mechanics and service personnel at the dealership admit it's a problem with Subaru Outbacks. I've found many reports and complaints of other owners experiencing the same bulb failures. The frequency of the bulb failure obviously presents a safety concern when driving at night. I would like Subaru to correct this design flaw and reimburse me for previous and future repairs associated with this issue.

- Finleyville, PA, USA

Jul 112015

Outback

We were coming home from a fireworks display at night and my son told me to turn on my lights which already had done, and the low beams on both sides and the marker lights didn't work. I tried turning switch to all positions and they still didn't come on. The high beams work okay and turn signals front and back & brake lights work. We drove home with the fog lights which still work. We need the car to go on vacation and the dealer can't fix it right away as well as what it will cost there or if I have to have some else fix it. It's definitely a safety issue because the road we drive home on has very little if any lighting and there are twists and turns and you could easily drive into a stone outcropping or into he water at any point. I had my wife and two young nephews with us as well. I checked the lights again to make sure what ones were out, I checked the fuses as well to see if something had blown and they were okay.there have been multiple complaints on this and other websites about the Subaru lights. With all the recalls of every vehicles of every 'description, the whole auto industry is totally out of control and needs to be reigned in, it's a huge safety and overall quality issue not to mention the millions of work hours and time lost by tens of thousands of people having to deal with problem

- Branford, CT, USA

Jul 232015

Outback

Our 2011 Subaru Outback has had an excessive number of headlight bulbs burn out over the past 18 months. Over the past 18 months I have had to replace 4 headlight bulbs, 2 driver side and 2 passenger side. They have all occurred at different times and the vehicle has never been in an accident. This is becoming a safety issue with the vehicle and a costly repair. There must be something in the design of the automatic headlight system design which is causing these failures.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

May 062013

Outback

Low beam headlights keep burning out both sides. Lights burn out independently of each other. So far have replaced lights 3 times 6 in total. Problem reported as an issue in Subaru forumn

- Sleepy Hollow, NY, USA

Feb 202012

Outback

The headlights and tail lights have failed (burned out) multiple times in the 4 years of owning the vehicle. Some within 3 months of being replaced other might last 8 months to a year. I am wondering if this is a wiring issue causing such short bulb life.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 162013

Outback

Purchased this car 7/2011. No problem with exterior headlights until about one year after purchase. Highbeams are fine. Never had to replace them. Running lights have never had an issue. Around 11/2012, regular headlights(both bulbs in the headlight housing )have been repeatedly replaced. In Oct 2013, both bulbs on driver side were replaced. Went several weeks later for my state safety sticker, the small bulb needed to be replaced on the driver side. Then in Feb 2014, the large bulb on the driver side burnt out and was replaced. May 2014, both lights on the passenger side where out. Replaced them. These needed to be done at a garage each time. Jan 2015, both replaced on the passenger side.now, Feb 12, 2015 and again, both on the passenger side are out, and need replacing. Going to try more heavy duty bulbs. Husband has learned how to replace the bulbs through the wheel well. I have paperwork for at least 7- 8 bulbs in 3 1/2 yrs needing replacement. Think Subaru needs to acknowledge a problem in exterior lights in the Subaru 2011.

- Agawam, MA, USA

Jun 212014

Outback

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback great car the problem is I'm changing a low beam bulb every 6 to 8 months. My wife has a 2006 legacy wagon and I've only had 1 bulb go out. I called my Subaru dealership I was told it was because I have running lights on the car. I told him I have running lights on my 06 legacy and don't have that problem. That was the end of our conversation. Maybe I'll call Subaru in NJ. Very helpful group. I worked with them when I had head gasket issues.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Mar 042013

Outback

I have had the car since August 2010 and the low light beams keep burning out. I have had to replace one or the other three times now. This time the new bulb lasted less than a year. And last year I also had to replace one of the high beams. I have never owned a car that needed headlights replaced so often (actually I've never had to replace a headlight on any other vehicle I've owned). Also, I have to bring it to a dealer every time this needs to be done because it's too difficult to change myself. It's very inconvenient. There are many other people who have the same complaint so it leads me to think it's a fault that should be addressed. Other than this, I love my car!

- East Moriches, NY, USA