3.6

2011 Subaru Outback lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Outback:

2011 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 042016

Outback

Low beams just burnt out using auto setting, this happened while the car was parked overnight!!

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Oct 312016

Outback

Ongoing failure of both passenger and driver side headlamps. Same complaint that others have documented that this is an ongoing issue and the headlamps are difficult to replace. Serious safety hazard and can also lead to traffic violations. Subaru needs to provide a fix, not just a one-time reimbursement of replacement headlamps.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 102016

Outback

I have replaced both left & right side headlight low beam bulbs at least 6-7 times since the car was new. One occasion they were both out and my wife drove home with only the parking lights on (she said "it sure is dark on route 9A"). I'm not sure I saved all the receipts, but I bet autozone has records withmy rewards account.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jun 012016

Outback

"airbag recall" this recall was in June and Subaru it not taking any appointments to fix the problem.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Oct 012016

Outback

Multiple headlight failure since car was new. Atleast one headlight goes out every three months.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Aug 102016

Outback

Multiple head light failures rotates between drivers side and passenger side at least one light goes out very three months.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Aug 152016

Outback

Right back brake light blew out. Car has been having alot of various lighting problems since purchased in 2011. Not sure when it blew out, someone in a parking lot told me it was out.

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Aug 052016

Outback

Frequent replacement of low beam bulbs. Not easy to replace and Subaru service best equipped to do procedure. Labor costs at various dealers for this service widely vary and can increase without reason. Subaru of America recently sent out letter saying warranty on bulbs has been extended (not that there is issue with electrical system). Soa will replace or refund, however, this does not solve the issue of continued (perceived) deficiency in the lighting system overall and refund requirements are very stringent per the letter they sent. I consider this issue as a safety defect. We have both an Outback and legacy that are both affected by this. Have owned legacy since new and replaced both bulbs four times since taking ownership. Have tried other brand bulbs to no better result (hence my belief it is electrical system). Per one of the service advisors I've spoken to in the past, the system is designed such that when one bulb burns out, more current flows to the one bulb still working and will burn it out prematurely (furthering my belief that it is a safety issue). They said this in recommending replacement of both bulbs at once. Would like to see recall or greater effort on soa's part.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Jul 152016

Outback

Have to replace a low beam light every year, just on the passengers side. When changing bulb I wear gloves, not to touch my skin on the bulb. There really should be a recall on this. Every time I get a bulb they say Subaru is known for this. This happens every year since I purchace the car.

- Bailey Island, ME, USA

Jul 032016

Outback

I have replaced many headlight bulbs. Now it seems, I am replacing a headlight bulb about every 3 months!

- Apex, NC, USA

May 012016

Outback

My low beam headlights both went out at the same time. After some research, it appears that this is a problem with the vehicle.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Jun 022016

Outback

Low beam headlights burn out - continuing problem and replacement involves a poorly designed access method requiring removal of wheel well plastic to get to the light bulb. Vehicle is not safe with lights that burn out

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Outback

Low beam headlights burn out approximately every 3-6 months. About to replace a bulb for the 6th time.

- Burleson, TX, USA

May 192016

Outback

Replaced low beam head light on passenger side,8months later needs to be replaced again. This also affects the daytime driving lights even thought the high beam lights are used at a reduced power for driving lights. High beam now does not work on passenger side. This happens in all operating conditions, with or without automatic light control on or off.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Feb 042016

Outback

The headlights have failed several times. The dealer has replaced them, because, due to the front end design, it is impossible to do it yourself. The dealer stated that the headlights fail because the front end design allows the lights to overheat.

- Chicago Park, CA, USA

May 172016

Outback

I have to replace my low-beam headlight every 3-4 months at a very expensive cost. This is very frustrating and a severe safety issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 172013

Outback

We have owned this Subaru since new. The original headlight bulbs burnt out at 58,000 miles. Since then I have had to replace the bulbs every two to three months, using the Subaru recommended H7 bulbs from sylvania. The car has burnt through at least one dozen light bulbs.

- Reno, NV, USA

Feb 282016

Outback

I have had to have the headlight bulbs (low-beams) replaced a minimum of 4 times over the past two years. The passengers side was first...then a few months later the driver's side. This continues for no apparent reason. Last night leaving work...the passenger side is out again. I cannot believe I am the only Subaru owner who has experienced this problem. Replacing them is no easy task as after investigating, you have to go through the wheel well to get to it. Again...both sides will now have been replaced 4 times withing the two years. Minor issue compared to the other complaints, but nevertheless a safety issue.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 202015

Outback

Ascended steep hill and stopped at stop sign. Processed to drive through intersection uphill. All lights on dash began to flicker on and off and car stalled out going down the road. After this occurred, I lost all electrical functions of car. I was not able to restart car, place car into park, apply emergency brake, turn on hazard lights, and the power brakes and steering were not present. I spent 5-7 minutes trying to restart the car and trying to figure out a way to stabilize the car since I was currently going down a steep hill without anyway of stabilizing it. After this time, smoke began coming out from under the hood. I had to coast car down hill into busy intersection and turn it onto next road in order to find a flat area to stabilize car so I could get out of it. When I got out, I began seeing flames drop down from front driver side of engine area. The car quickly caught on fire and most of the engine burnt out before flames were extinguished. The fire appeared to start in computer area. This car was bought new and have had no previous problems with the car, except we have had to change the low beam headlight bulbs several times while owning it. After I witnessed my car catch on fire and afterwards discovered Subaru has a service bulletin for the torque converter, I believe the headlight issue and the torque converter issues are all connected. I believe what happened to my car is the torque converter failed that day causing an over voltage/over draw of power that was so bad it took out my computer unit, I then believe the battery continued to feed the computer unit, in its unresponsive state, until it caught on fire. The fire inspector told me sometimes bulbs will burnt out due to an over voltage situation. Something is definitely overdrawing power and it needs to be looked into because it endangers every driver, passenger, and anyone around these cars.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Jan 292016

Outback

This is 4th time that the headlight blows out. If it's not the headlight its the point lights. I filed a complaint on Dec. 04, 2015 about other complaints. Just noticed that the passenger side headlight blew out again while driving on local road at night the other night. Jan. 29, 2016. High beams work, low beam is out. This is getting frustrating and Subaru dealer tells me there are not recalls. I am sick of paying and taking time to drive 45 minutes to the dealer to get this fixed all the time. Please do something. I have an appt. Tomorrow Feb. 2, 2016 with the dealer again to fix it. This seems to be an electrical problem.

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA