NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2011 Subaru Outback (Page 1 of 5)

3.6

2011 Subaru Outback lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Outback:

2011 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 082017

Outback

My headlights have gone out 6 times! the last time I switched to an led system and now it has blown my rf headlight in 6 months! led it supposed to last longer! I definitely have some kind of electrical issue!

- Trooper, PA, USA

Dec 212016

Outback

The low beam headlights burn out ever 8-10 months. No matter what type of bulb used, the low beam bulb overheats and burns itself out faster than any other car.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Dec 192016

Outback

The headlight bulbs on my 2011 Subaru Outback "burnout" every 4-5 months. I addressed the issue with the the original dealer where the vehicle was purchased, to no satisfactory end. They basically said there was nothing they could do other than replace the bulbs. Since the first instance I have personally replaced the bulbs a minimum of a dozen times. The latest burnout occurred this weekend while driving in a snowstorm.the original dealer is no longer in business so I took it to a different dealer. They explained that there is now a "warranty extension" in place to replace the bulbs for a ten year period from the date of purchase. When I questioned what they were going to do to correct the obvious electrical problem, the service writer stated "there is nothing that can be done other than replacing the bulb". a subsequent call to Subaru of America produced nothing more than a "sir, we have extended the warranty for up to ten years to replace the bulbs" when I repeatedly questioned what was being done to fix the problem. I searched the internet and discovered this is a known issue that Subaru is doing absolutely nothing to rectify. They are band aiding the problem with the "extended warranty". this is a major safety issue when headlight bulbs just "burnout", almost always at the worst possible time. Is it going to take my vehicle burning to the ground due to an electrical short, voltage surge or whatever else is causing the burnouts, or worse yet a Subaru owner being involved in an accident, before Subaru initiates a recall to fix the issue they are well aware of.

- Winfield, WV, USA

Dec 122016

Outback

Repeated premature failure of headlights, marker lights, brake lights. I'm aware of the recall replacing the headlights but that is not fixing the problem.

- Edinboro, PA, USA

Nov 042016

Outback

Low beams just burnt out using auto setting, this happened while the car was parked overnight!!

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Oct 312016

Outback

Ongoing failure of both passenger and driver side headlamps. Same complaint that others have documented that this is an ongoing issue and the headlamps are difficult to replace. Serious safety hazard and can also lead to traffic violations. Subaru needs to provide a fix, not just a one-time reimbursement of replacement headlamps.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 102016

Outback

I have replaced both left & right side headlight low beam bulbs at least 6-7 times since the car was new. One occasion they were both out and my wife drove home with only the parking lights on (she said "it sure is dark on route 9A"). I'm not sure I saved all the receipts, but I bet autozone has records withmy rewards account.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jun 012016

Outback

"airbag recall" this recall was in June and Subaru it not taking any appointments to fix the problem.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Oct 012016

Outback

Multiple headlight failure since car was new. Atleast one headlight goes out every three months.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Aug 102016

Outback

Multiple head light failures rotates between drivers side and passenger side at least one light goes out very three months.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Aug 152016

Outback

Right back brake light blew out. Car has been having alot of various lighting problems since purchased in 2011. Not sure when it blew out, someone in a parking lot told me it was out.

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Aug 052016

Outback

Frequent replacement of low beam bulbs. Not easy to replace and Subaru service best equipped to do procedure. Labor costs at various dealers for this service widely vary and can increase without reason. Subaru of America recently sent out letter saying warranty on bulbs has been extended (not that there is issue with electrical system). Soa will replace or refund, however, this does not solve the issue of continued (perceived) deficiency in the lighting system overall and refund requirements are very stringent per the letter they sent. I consider this issue as a safety defect. We have both an Outback and legacy that are both affected by this. Have owned legacy since new and replaced both bulbs four times since taking ownership. Have tried other brand bulbs to no better result (hence my belief it is electrical system). Per one of the service advisors I've spoken to in the past, the system is designed such that when one bulb burns out, more current flows to the one bulb still working and will burn it out prematurely (furthering my belief that it is a safety issue). They said this in recommending replacement of both bulbs at once. Would like to see recall or greater effort on soa's part.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Jul 152016

Outback

Have to replace a low beam light every year, just on the passengers side. When changing bulb I wear gloves, not to touch my skin on the bulb. There really should be a recall on this. Every time I get a bulb they say Subaru is known for this. This happens every year since I purchace the car.

- Bailey Island, ME, USA

Jul 032016

Outback

I have replaced many headlight bulbs. Now it seems, I am replacing a headlight bulb about every 3 months!

- Apex, NC, USA

May 012016

Outback

My low beam headlights both went out at the same time. After some research, it appears that this is a problem with the vehicle.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Jun 022016

Outback

Low beam headlights burn out - continuing problem and replacement involves a poorly designed access method requiring removal of wheel well plastic to get to the light bulb. Vehicle is not safe with lights that burn out

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Outback

Low beam headlights burn out approximately every 3-6 months. About to replace a bulb for the 6th time.

- Burleson, TX, USA

May 192016

Outback

Replaced low beam head light on passenger side,8months later needs to be replaced again. This also affects the daytime driving lights even thought the high beam lights are used at a reduced power for driving lights. High beam now does not work on passenger side. This happens in all operating conditions, with or without automatic light control on or off.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Feb 042016

Outback

The headlights have failed several times. The dealer has replaced them, because, due to the front end design, it is impossible to do it yourself. The dealer stated that the headlights fail because the front end design allows the lights to overheat.

- Chicago Park, CA, USA

May 172016

Outback

I have to replace my low-beam headlight every 3-4 months at a very expensive cost. This is very frustrating and a severe safety issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA