2011 Subaru Outback seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Outback:

2011 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 012013

Outback 4-cyl

First I will say I am an adult female weighing 120 lbs, sufficient weight to activate airbags. We just purchased this car and went for long trip and I noticed my air bag light was off. I tried to adjust positions and sometimes I could get it to come back on, only to find a few minutes later that is off again, this process was repeated the whole 7 hour trip. We were traveling on snow covered roads so this was very upsetting to not have the air bags working. This is a serious problems that needs to be fixed. What good are safety features in a car if they do not work properly.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Dec 142012

Outback 4-cyl

The vehicle in question was moving at about 35 mph when its front end collided with the side of a car moving slowly across its path. The driver's seatbelt worked properly. The air bag did not deploy.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 102012

Outback 4-cyl

I believe my anti-lock brakes malfunctioned on my 2011 Subaru Outback and if this is the case then someone in auto safety data collection needs to know about it. I was driving down an off ramp during snowy conditions. I applied my brakes at around 35 mph and they abruptly locked up. There was no shutter/shimmer effect that I might expect with anti-lock brakes as they go on and off while trying to grip the road. I applied them again with the same jolt followed by sliding. I tried this several times as I approached the intersection. Though the long off ramp did slow me down, at about 15 mph (I think) I plowed the left front of my car into the Ford Ranger in front of me. This impressively crushed the left front side of my car and my air bags did not deploy. The point of impact was the left side of the front bumper, but it hit at the upper 2-3 inches of the bumper. I'm not sure if the airbags should have deployed with this type of impact, but if they were supposed to deploy then someone needs to know about it too.

- Sparks, NV, USA

May 312010

Outback 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact stated that the air bag light would intermittently illuminate when someone was seated in the front passenger seat. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on several occasions and the contact was informed that the vehicle could not be repaired unless the failure was duplicated. The failure mileage was 10 and the current mileage 11,500. Updated 03/14/12

- New York, NY, USA

May 102011

Outback 4-cyl

The passenger side airbag fails to activate or cycles on and off while the adult passenger remains seated in the proper position. Dealer claims no defects detected yet is unable to resolve the problem. Manufacturer representative is also unable to provide any assistance in the resolution of the problem even to the point of not acknowledging that a problem exists. I feel this is a serious safety issue as you cannot rely on whether or not the airbag will be properly activated or even deploy in the event of an accident.

- Campo, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Outback

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact stated that the passenger air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that the body type of the seat occupant was causing the passenger air bag light to illuminate intermittently and that there was nothing that could be done to correct the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 2,300.

- Shiprock , NM, USA

Sep 152010

Outback 4-cyl

A longer version of the following letter was sent to Subaru on 1/3/2012: The purpose of this letter is to file an official complaint regarding the operation of the passenger airbag for our 2011 Subaru Outback and to request your help in resolving this problem. We purchased our Outback in September 2010 from steven's creek Subaru in san jose, California. The airbag sensor has worked intermittently since we first took ownership of the vehicle. Specifically, it turns on and off frequently when my wife (approximately 120 pounds) is seated in the passenger seat. Over the past year, we have made numerous complaints to the service technicians with no resolution. We have serious concerns for my wife's safety and it is un-excusable that Subaru does not have a resolution to this life-safety issue. I am extremely disappointed that Subaru did not disclose this issue before we purchased the vehicle. I have provided Subaru with a series of email correspondence between the dealership and myself regarding the issue from late 2010 and early 2011. In one of the emails I provided links to youtube videos documenting the issue. We waited until this time to file our formal complaint as we were hopeful that steven's creek Subaru could help us to resolve this problem. Unfortunately they have not been able to resolve our concerns and have directed us to contact Subaru headquarters directly.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Sep 212011

Outback 4-cyl

There seems to be a problem with the front passenger air bag activation sensor. My wife, who weighs approx. 125 lbs, often sits in that seat. The air bag sensor light might go on, or it might not. Sometimes she can shift her weight and have it come on. Other times it doesn't matter what she does, it will not go on. We can be riding along with the air bag light on and all of a sudden, for no reason, it will go off. Then, inexplicably, it might, or might not, come back on. I brought the car to a local Subaru dealer who informed me that this is the way the air bag system is made and that there is nothing they can do about it. They said that it is against federal law for them to make any adjustments and that I should just make sure my wife wears her seat belt when we're driving. This is a major irritant, since neither of us can be sure if the passenger air bag will actually deploy should we be in an accident. It seems like something should be done about this, especially now that I've searched this site and found that I am not the only one to experience this problem with the passenger air bag sensor. I joke with my wife that we might need to fatten her up to save her life, but for some reason she just doesn't think it's funny. Maybe you folks can look into the problem and do something about it.

- Winchester, VA, USA

May 182011

Outback

I have told the Subaru dealer(s) that the front passenger airbag sensor light says "off" unless the passenger weighs over 150 lbs or so. The dealer(s) deny knowing anything about it. However, it is on a Subaru blog and there are many complaints about it. The dealer is unable to tell me if the airbag is working or not. My brake pedal makes a clicking noise when I release the brake pedal. The Subaru dealer told me he knew this happened to all of the 2010 models but didn't realize it was happening to the 2011 models and he said there is nothing he can do about it until Subaru comes out with a recall. So far I haven't heard back from Subaru, it's been 5 months.

- Durham, ME, USA

Sep 132011

Outback 4-cyl

The sensor turns off intermittently when my wife sits in the front passenger seat (5 ft, 4 inches, 110 lbs). It will also turn off when she shifts her sitting position. The sensor will remain off, regardless of how she is sitting, for long periods of time (80+ miles) or until I restart the car. I spoke with two Subaru dealers and they said that they have seen this issue with lighter passengers and don't thing a recalibration will help due to the sensor's sensitivity.

- Allendale, NJ, USA

Jul 012011

Outback

The passenger side front air bag indicator randomly showed the status 'on' or 'off' when the seat was occupied by an adult passenger. No pattern could be identified for the indication although we tried every perturbation of sitting, fastening seat belt, closing door, starting engine, etc. The vehicle was returned to the dealer for repair. The passenger seat sensor(s) was replaced as defective, now the indicator never indicates 'on', always 'off' regardless of actions as above. The vehicle was returned a second time, this time it was determined that the sensor(s) were being inhibited because of seat covers distributing the weight in such a way as to 'fool' the sensors. It took a 180 lb. Person to activate the sensor, [a 170 lb. Person did not] with the seat covers on, the sensors appeared to operate correctly without the seat covers. This raises the question of weight distribution, are large buttocks required given that there are multiple weight sensors in the seat, how about a small framed 120 lb adult. The answer is clear, the passenger air bag should always be on unless manually turned off by the user. Subaru must provide a programming option to the owner to default the airbag status to always 'on'. my Toyota and Honda both provides a key lock option to disable the unit, default is, and should be required, to be 'on'. this is a safety issue, and Subaru is opening themselves to class actions, and heaven forbid the first accident when the unit fails to deploy because it was not armed because of quirky weight distribution requirements. I believe that a preventive recall should be ordered if Subaru does not unilaterally provide an always 'on' default option for the vehicle.

- Dufur, OR, USA

Apr 072011

Outback

Front passenger seat airbag switch irregularly changes state with lighter occupant. The passenger side front airbag indicator light shows off even though occupant is within limits stipulated verbally by Subaru salesman. The indicator light changes state with occupant in seat, even though the occupant remained completely still.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Oct 182010

Outback

Occupant sensing airbag won't turn on for my wife who weighs 110 pounds. This is a new 2011 Subaru Outback. The dealership argued and was evasive about my complaint; and said the seat was calibrated to activate with a 120 pound person. They were "instructing" me on the proper seating position. I told them I didn't want the vehicle if the air bag wouldn't operate for my wife. I have an appt. This week. Stay tuned.

- Webster, NY, USA