2011 Subaru Outback seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Outback:

2011 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 032016

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Nov 082016

Outback

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jun 012016

Outback

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Ocean Side, CA, USA

Jun 142016

Outback

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect. The VIN was unavailable.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 012016

Outback

"airbag recall" this recall was in June and Subaru it not taking any appointments to fix the problem.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Oct 112016

Outback

Takata recall - have been waiting for over 3 months for the local dealer to acquire parts and fix the problem. As of this morning, they still have no idea when they will have the parts available to fix our vehicle.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Jul 152016

Outback

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Aug 152016

Outback

Takata recall: Informed that no one can sit in the passenger seat until parts are replaced and that there are no parts available. Our normal usage of the vehicle requires loading in the back and a driver and passenger in the front. Local Subaru dealers have been unable to find us a loaner vehicle for use until our vehicle is fixed. This is unacceptable.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jun 182016

Outback

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Cloverdale, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Outback

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Aug 292016

Outback

Said I could not have anyone ride in passenger seat till fixed. This is unacceptable and had been over a month with no word about when parts are ready. We have to use passenger seat. Subaru needs to provide a rental or other transportation. Asap.

- Boone, NC, USA

Aug 122016

Outback

Takata recall. Subaru and takata airbag problems. My Outback has a recall and I called Subaru corporate about a week ago. I talked to someone because my wife is pregnant and drives our 4 year old girl in the car. My wife doesn't feel safe driving the car (the details of the recall are outlined below). It may be up to 3 months until they get the part to fix it. I was told by Subaru corporate to go to the local Subaru dealership and they could get us a car from their fleet or a rental from enterprise. When I went to the dealership I was put on a waiting list. I called back to corporate - they called the dealership and then I was told that the dealership doesn't use enterprise and only has their own fleet. I asked if we could get a rental car and get reimbursed and they said no. No resolution yet.

- Boardman, OH, USA

May 032016

Outback

The passenger seat airbag indicator, with an adult sitting in the seat, randomly shows the airbag on/off. There is no consistency to whether the airbag will show as functioning, which makes the system non-functioning by any measure. This is a key safety feature that Subaru advertises and sells vehicles by and it simply does not function. Subaru has not acknowledged that there is an issue and their service department claims that they cannot find and error code indicating there is an issue. The implication being that I am making up the issue. This seems to be a similar issue to what was outlined in the 2012 Subaru impreza airbag sensor recall. Both cases involve the passenger airbag sensor failing with an adult sitting in the seat. If you never know if the airbag is going to work, it is a failure of the system. This isn't a problem that is going to be recognized or fixed without a mandatory recall or a lawsuit.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 192015

Outback

The contact owns a 2011 Subaru Outback. While attempting to park, the contact forgot to shift the lever into the park position but was able to turn the vehicle off. As a result, the vehicle rolled away and crashed into a gate. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer was notified of the issue and stated that the vehicle was designed to perform in that manner. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,547.

- Augusta, WV, USA

Sep 102014

Outback

The airbag warning lite on the passenger side came on and stayed on for several minutes. After several trips the lite came on again and has stayed on. The result is that the bag is not able to deploy if there is any type of accident that involves the front end. This is very concerning to my family, I try to avoid anyone from riding in the front passenger seat.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 212014

Outback

The airbag indicator for the passenger will not remain on, even though the passenger meets the required weight.

- Little Ferry, NJ, USA

Jul 242014

Outback 4-cyl

With no passenger seated, the seat belt chime started ringing. To try to stop it, I latched the passenger seat belt. Chiming continued. I notice the air bag warning light was lit. I drove the car straight to my Subaru dealer and was told the passenger side air bag sensor had failed. I was also told the only way to fix it was to replace the seat at well over $1000. I was still left with the problem of the seat belt chime. The dealership wouldn't disable the chime so I searched the internet for a solution. What I found is that this is a very common problem with 2011 Outbacks. I did also find out how to disable the seat belt chime. Because this is such a costly repair and a common problem, I have to believe there are many Subaru owners driving around with unprotected passengers having disabling their seat belt chimes and having no air bag protection. In fairness to Subaru, I contacted customer service and they offered to split the cost of the repair. It will still cost me $798 for what should be a simple repair but because of poor engineering, a replacement seat. I would appreciate you looking into this matter.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Nov 272013

Outback 4-cyl

The passenger air is disabled when my wife or daughter sits in the front passenger seat. Both weight approximately 120 lbs. We have taken it to the dealer and they say it works as designed but that means my wife and daughter have no air bag protection. Subaru states they fixed the problem in the 2012 model. That is no consolation to me. I read the air bag should be disabled for a 5th percentile women which is 107 lbs. This is a common problem in the 2011 Outback.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Mar 132014

Outback 4-cyl

Air bag is not being turned on when a passenger is in the seat. They meet the 80+ weight requirment.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Jan 072013

Outback

We have a Subaru Outback that we purchased in May 2011. In January 2013 the airbag indicator began to turn off randomly while I was seated in the front passenger seat. It happens intermittently and without any change in behavior or movement on my part we have brought the car to the dealer and they say there is not a problem with the system. I have called the Subaru company and they say the system is operating as designed and since the dealer cannot find the problem there is none. The company also state there have been complaints by other people my weight. (117 lbs.) they also state that the airbag will not inflate if the indicator for the airbag is off. I have expressed my fear of not having an airbag in case of an accident to no avail. I feel that this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

- Navarre, FL, USA