Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Outback has a problem with excessive oil consumption.

A class action lawsuit is pending that alleges Subaru's "FB" engine has defective piston rings which causes oil to leak past the rings & burn up at an excessive rate. More information about the class action is available here.

2013 Subaru Outback brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Subaru Outback:

2013 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Dec 232015

This vehicle has several issues. I had an oil change and within 1 week they had to add 1.3 quarts. Car had 23,767 miles. In just over a month I have had to add almost 4 quarts of synthetic oil and spent close to $100 for the oil. The car is an automatic with a manual option and I am also haveing problems where the gears won't change in auto nor manual operation. It revs the engine and I have to stop, turn it off then restart. It happens all the time but the dealer said there is nothing wrong with it..there is also an issue with vibration of the steering wheel all the time and the brakes don't want to catch all the time. Should not have to pump the brakes 2 or 3 times to get them to engage.

- Red House, WV, USA

Nov 162015

The contact owns a 2013 Subaru Outback. While driving approximately 30 mph in inclement weather, the vehicle began to slide while driving downhill. The contact attempted to control the steering, but it would not move. The vehicle did not respond and struck a delineator post, slid in the opposite direction towards a concrete wall, and suddenly stopped. A police report was filed. There were no injuries. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Durango, CO, USA

Dec 302013

I have 2013 Subaru Outback. Couple of month after buying it I discovered the issue where my foot would be stuck on the brake pedal. There is some kind of a flap above the pedal. The flap normally just touches the top of a shoe. But in some situations/positions of the pedal it presses on the foot. When you try to move the foot out of the pedal, it bends and braces it, practically locking the foot. It does not happen consistently, but rather infrequently. What makes it worse is wearing bulky shoes like sneakers, shoes with buckles, or with a mesh top. The mesh also gets caught on the flap. A couple of times I was in situations where it took 10-15 seconds to get the foot out of the brake pedal. At least once I have been nearly rear-ended because I couldn"T accelerate immediately after breaking. I complained on this issue 4 times at Subaru service. They tweaked it somewhat, but never completely fixed, and it got worse again after every maintenance service. While trying to understand how it is remedied, I found that the dealership didn?T record these complaints in my car history. So I wrote an email to Subaru. Subaru customer service person told me to make another appointment, as he?ll instruct the dealership how to fix the issue. I brought my car in, waited for an hour, but then was told no instructions were received from Subaru. On the next contact with the Subaru customer service I received the following reply: ?there are no repairs required and no repairs were performed. We have no recommendations as there were no problems found.? however, it appeared that Subaru has fixed the problem during that appointment, while telling me nothing was done. The flap was replaced with the longer version, so that the foot never gets under it, but rather pushes the flap inside. This is a serious safety issue. It is obvious Subaru is aware of it, but doesn"T admit it exists....updated 07-16-15 MA 07/30/15

- North Grafton, MA, USA

Oct 122012

Eye sight system. When using cruise control the adaptive system senses the auto in front of your car and maintains a set distance. The auto that was in front of me moved into a left turn lane and slowed to turn. My cars eye sight system detected the car was still in front of mine and even though it was not, initialed a hard stop automatically. Lucky for me the car behind me was alert and was also able to stop before rear ending my car. This has happened several times after with cars moving either into left or right turn lanes or merging off interstates on the exit ramp. Subaru has no idea how to fix this issue. The dealership has been able to duplicate the situation. This is a very dangerous occurrence of the eye sight system that could cause an accident. There is no mention of this possibility in the eye sight manual. I disable the system now to prevent it from happening to me, but often my wife forgets. Subaru needs to find a solution. I am hoping you can help.

- Spirit Lake , ID, USA

Nov 252012

Outback 6-cyl

Made a turn and was halfway down the block going approximately 15 mph when the engine suddenly shut off. The instrument gauge lit up with all sorts of annunciators. I was able to pull over to a safe location and park. The following annunciators were flashing; at oil temp, cruise control indicator, and the brake light. The following annunciators were lit solid; check engine warning light /malfunction indicator light and the vehicle dynamics control warning light. Turned off vehicle. Waited. Turned engine on and the annunciators were still present and the instrument gauge remained unchanged.

- Oakland, CA, USA