2015 Subaru Outback fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Oct 252014

The vehicle is equipped with the 3.6R engine and a continuously variable transmission. When descending a long hill in a fixed gear ratio (usually 2nd or 3rd) the vehicle slows normally until the RPM reaches approximately 1200 RPM at which point the vehicle suddenly begins accelerating until the RPM reaches approximately 2500 RPM at which point the process repeats. I observe the "mpg" suddenly drop at the same time to around 25 mpg when the vehicle accelerates. It rises back to "99" when it slows. Note that during the entire sequence my foot is off the accelerator pedal and the throttle angle display shows zero. I find this very hazardous as the unintended acceleration can occur when entering or within a turn creating a crash risk. Upadte 9/15/15

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 162014

When the engine is cold, the idle speed is 1600 RPM when started. When placed in reverse or drive it reduces to a nominal 900-1000 RPM. When the vehicle starts to move it suddenly drops to 600 RPM. When braking to a stop after moving vehicle the RPM suddenly jumps to 900-1000 RPM just before vehicle halts. This causes sudden unexpected acceleration of the vehicle and presents a safety hazard. I believe this is due to an engine/transmission software issue. This has occurred since new. Updated 9/15/15

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 042015

Unintended acceleration. When driving at low speeds--what would traditionally be 1st and 2nd gear (the car has a continually variable transmission)--and while keeping constant pressure on the gas pedal, the transmission changes the acceleration of the vehicle on its own in a process that feels like it can't find the right "gear", and it provides a "jerking" feeling (usually only a couple of "jerks"). yet the transmission is not just finding the right gear for a specific constant speed; as it shifts around, the acceleration changes and has, with constant pressure on the pedal, accelerated faster on its own. I have never felt less control of a vehicle as I have with this one.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Feb 162015

I warmed the car up and drove to shoprite. Twenty minutes later I returned to the car to put the stuff away to go home. When I pressed the button to start the car only the radio started and the message flashed keyless start up deactivated see manual. I saw the manual could, just about understand it, did what it told me nothing changed. I called roadside assistance at Subaru and the lady said it was my battery even though I told her what the message said on the screen. She sent someone to jump the battery.when he arrived 50 minutes later the car started perfectly. I called Subaru service at my dealership, that I have used since 1979. The person I spoke to said he knows nothing about it. I looked on line at the Subaru forum and found others experiencing the same or similar message. I am including their website I want to know if the car resets itself. No one can tell me at Subaru (glannzmans) I have driven Subaru since 1979 and they started all the time. This is the eyesight model supposedly really safe but I do not know when I leave my house if the car will start. I makes me feel not very safe.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA