2.4

2015 Subaru Outback fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Oct 012016

Outback

October 1, 2016 11:50am, 32,00miles sudden unintended acceleration (sua) my wife had an acceleration and brake malfunction on this date and time.she had just turned into a parking lot and attempted to turn into a parking space. As she took her foot off the accelerator and applied pressure to the brake, the car accelerated and the brake would not function. The car ran over the yellow cement barrier and was heading for a tree, she continued to apply pressure to the brake and it did not respond as she turned the car right to miss the tree. Realizing she may be heading for the street she turned hard right, still applying pressure to a unresponsive brake pedal. She continued to steer hard right to miss a fire hydrant. She left tire marks in the bark chips near the hydrant. The brake finally engaged and the car came to a stop in front of another cement parking barrier that was perpendicular to the street. She sat for approximately a minute, gathering her thoughts and talking to her grandchild, in the back seat. She then drove slowly over the barrier and parked. She drove around the parking lot stopping and starting before proceeding home, approximately 2 miles. This was a sudden and random acceleration and the brakes would not function. We believe it has to do with the computer that controls throttle and that it malfunctioned. We do not fee safe in this car and are concerned that this sua might happen again. We are asking Subaru to replace this control computer. It is at the dealership waiting on their evaluation. We want to drive and feel safe in our 2015 Subaru Outback! there should be no doubt or hesitation in keeping us safe and one incident of sua/brake malfunction is one too many. We have pictures of the area showing the tree, fire hydrant and bark chips with tire marks. You can follow the path of the vehicle through the picture.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Oct 252014

Outback

The vehicle is equipped with the 3.6R engine and a continuously variable transmission. When descending a long hill in a fixed gear ratio (usually 2nd or 3rd) the vehicle slows normally until the RPM reaches approximately 1200 RPM at which point the vehicle suddenly begins accelerating until the RPM reaches approximately 2500 RPM at which point the process repeats. I observe the "mpg" suddenly drop at the same time to around 25 mpg when the vehicle accelerates. It rises back to "99" when it slows. Note that during the entire sequence my foot is off the accelerator pedal and the throttle angle display shows zero. I find this very hazardous as the unintended acceleration can occur when entering or within a turn creating a crash risk. Upadte 9/15/15

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 162014

Outback

When the engine is cold, the idle speed is 1600 RPM when started. When placed in reverse or drive it reduces to a nominal 900-1000 RPM. When the vehicle starts to move it suddenly drops to 600 RPM. When braking to a stop after moving vehicle the RPM suddenly jumps to 900-1000 RPM just before vehicle halts. This causes sudden unexpected acceleration of the vehicle and presents a safety hazard. I believe this is due to an engine/transmission software issue. This has occurred since new. Updated 9/15/15

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 042015

Outback

Unintended acceleration. When driving at low speeds--what would traditionally be 1st and 2nd gear (the car has a continually variable transmission)--and while keeping constant pressure on the gas pedal, the transmission changes the acceleration of the vehicle on its own in a process that feels like it can't find the right "gear", and it provides a "jerking" feeling (usually only a couple of "jerks"). yet the transmission is not just finding the right gear for a specific constant speed; as it shifts around, the acceleration changes and has, with constant pressure on the pedal, accelerated faster on its own. I have never felt less control of a vehicle as I have with this one.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Feb 162015

Outback

I warmed the car up and drove to shoprite. Twenty minutes later I returned to the car to put the stuff away to go home. When I pressed the button to start the car only the radio started and the message flashed keyless start up deactivated see manual. I saw the manual could, just about understand it, did what it told me nothing changed. I called roadside assistance at Subaru and the lady said it was my battery even though I told her what the message said on the screen. She sent someone to jump the battery.when he arrived 50 minutes later the car started perfectly. I called Subaru service at my dealership, that I have used since 1979. The person I spoke to said he knows nothing about it. I looked on line at the Subaru forum and found others experiencing the same or similar message. I am including their website www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/220162-2015-Outback-not-starting. I want to know if the car resets itself. No one can tell me at Subaru (glannzmans) I have driven Subaru since 1979 and they started all the time. This is the eyesight model supposedly really safe but I do not know when I leave my house if the car will start. I makes me feel not very safe.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA