2015 Subaru Outback miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 282015

Outback

7/28/15 - I came out to my 2015 Subaru Outback at the end of the work day and found a "V" shaped crack in my windshield, approx 9-11 inches in each direction, originating below the windshield wiper in the middle of the windshield. My first thought was defect in the glass since the temperature that day was approx. 93 deg. 7/29/15 - I went to the nearby dealership and upon inspection by the service dept. Was told "a rock hit the windshield" which caused the windshield to crack. My response, "how could a rock hit under the windshield wiper where there is no evidence of a rock hitting it?" the cost to replace the windshield is over $700, not covered by Subaru warranty and the windshields are backlogged by 4-6 weeks since there none in stock. I returned home discouraged and immediately pulled up numerous complaints about the 2015 windshields cracking. 7/30/15 - I went to the dealer where I purchased my car, armed with 19 pages of windshield complaints. The service dept rep inspected the windshield and also said "a rock hit the windshield" but said this is common occurrence, windshields were in scarce supply and not covered by Subaru warranty. However, he was able to locate the last windshield they had in stock and reserved it so I now have a repair date in a week. I am still going to have to pay the $700 whether it is covered by my insurance company as comprehensive or cash out of pocket. I questioned the service rep about this obvious defect, thickness of the glass and the heating element under the passenger side wiper and other vehicles hit by small pebbles where "pitting" would occur but not cracking when hit. As a good service rep, his answers were evasive but empathetic, which led me to believe this issue is being ignored by Subaru. I was assured, though, if in the future, Subaru were to have a recall on the windshield, I would be reimbursed.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 242015

Outback

Crack in the windshield appeared over the weekend. Started in the lower corner on the passenger's side and spread about 2/3 of the way to driver's side.

- Webster, NY, USA

Jul 232015

Outback

Noticed a small crack in the windshield the morning of 7/23/15, I do not recall anything hitting my windshield, by lunch time the crack had spread half way across the windshield. Now to replace the windshield I'm told it is on national back order and may take quite a while to get a replacement. Sounds to me like Subaru installed cheep or defective glass windshields.

- Beavercreek, OR, USA

Jul 202015

Outback

I was driving on the highway and heard a random cracking sound. I then heard it again couple minutes later. Drove home and didn't see anything for several days. This morning while driving home from the gym on a regular road I heard the same cracking sound and then saw a huge crack in my windshield quickly spreading. The crack is quickly spreading and it looks like I will have to now replace the windshield

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Jul 182015

Outback

Navigation system screen has serious glare during daylight hours. Almost drove off road into a ditch yesterday, while trying to see screen. No one else on road. System virtually useless. Also severe glare on driver-side mirror from car interior, makes it hard to see vehicles on left. Subaru could fix this problem with designing a pre-cut anti-glare screen cover or simply replacing the navigation system screen with a new anti-glare plastic one. Someone will eventually get hurt or killed.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jun 202015

Outback

Windshield found cracked unexpectedly when coming out from a store. 6" crack grew quickly over 2 weeks, spreading all over the passenger side in a branched formation about 2X1'. yesterday, another crack developed in front of the driver's side and is compromising visibility with a glare from the crack and growing quickly again. Replacement windshield is back-ordered for several weeks. Have been waiting about 1 month now, driving with an unsafe/unsightly brand new car, and I'm out a $500 deductible. Going to contact Subaru as well, but they need more pressure to replace and reimburse this seemingly common problem with this brand new car. Updated 10/9/15.......updated 10/19/15

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Jul 112015

Outback

I was getting gas at a station. When I was finished pumping gas I entered the car, started it, put it in reverse, braked, put it in drive, it rolled backwards, put on the brake, it continued to roll backwards, gave it some gas since it was still in drive, car jumped forward almost hitting car parked in front of me, my foot was still on brake and in drive while I tried to keep it from rolling backwards. Tried to manipulate brake and gas to stop rolling backwards. Eventually I swerved around parked car in front of me without hitting it. This has happened 4 times since I purchased new car. I went to 2 Subaru dealerships and they said that is normal.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jul 062015

Outback

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5I limited - Monday 6 July 2015 - while driving, the check engine light, collision prevention off light, line warning off light, and X-mode light messages displayed. I had not disengaged the collision prevention or line warning lights and had not engaged the X-mode feature. There was no message indicating no brake lights. Made appointment for Thursday morning 9 July. Based on service advisor's advice that it was ok to drive the car until I brought it in, I drove the car for two days with no brake lights. (discovered this when my wife followed me to the dealer.) there should be a message to alert the driver brake lights are not operable. After service appointment Thursday (flashed computer to clear codes), noticed the vehicle was sluggish. While driving at 60 mph Friday afternoon 10 July sluggishness continued to increase, gear shifting became erratic, then the collision prevention off light and line warning off light messages displayed - but no check engine light. Shortly thereafter the vehicle totally failed to maintain speed or accelerate. Coasted off the exit ramp and called for a tow truck. Do not know whether brake lights were operable while this was occurring. I am aware there is a recall wqs-54 on the eye-sight system (which we showed the dealer service advisor). Having no way to know if brake lights are operable is a severe safety hazard. I have not received any notification from Subaru regarding this recall.

- Chester, VA, USA

May 152015

Outback

We had the same experience with our windshield that others have had -- see, eg, complaint # 10730819. About two weeks after buying a new 2015 Outback, while driving out of our somewhat steeply-angled garage, the windshield cracked. I saw no evidence of a stone hitting the windshield and thought there was a structural defect. Took the car to our dealer who did a "pen test" on the exterior of the windshield. The pen tip, indeed, caught in the crack and the repair person said that indicated a rock hit and we just had unfortunate luck. The crack grew quickly, snaking around the windshield, while we waited a few weeks for the replacement windshield to become available via safelite. Based on this and other comment sites, I'm concerned about a repeat crack. Also, of course, wondering if it was really just "bad luck." Our Subaru dealer's service department has been non-communicative. I contacted Subaru corporate with a complaint and received no response. Deeply disappointed - and we've been a "Subaru family" for a long time.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 232015

Outback

We recently purchased a new 2015 Subaru 3.6 R Outback (currently less than 600 miles) and the srvd (blind spot & rear cross traffic detection) system keeps malfunctioning. This happens when the vehicle is started and does not go away when driving. A small yellow " I " icon displays in the instrument cluster but is easy to overlook since there is no audible warning. The system starts working again if the car is stopped, and the engine is turned off and on - until of course the next random failure. This is a case of a "false negative" error, because the the side blind-spot mirrors indicate that the sides are clear to pass, when they may be not. It would have been preferable with a "false positive" error, namely the side blind-spot mirrors indicate that the sides are not clear to pass even if they are! what is truly alarming is that the dealer was not able to replicate the problem codes even after keeping the car overnight for further test drives. Since my family has come to rely on this safety system it is potentially a very serious hazard. I hope Subaru takes this matter seriously and (unlike Toyota) alerts all their customers immediately before it is too late, and comes up with a fix asap.

- Danville, CA, USA

Nov 052014

Outback

There are two problems. One happened twice. When in drive and foot on the brake for a long time -about 3 or 4 minutes. The brake goes soft, the engine speeds up and the car takes off. If someone or car is in front of me the crash when be bad. The second problem is when turning left into a parking space the same thing happened about 5 times. The service department has looked for the problem but did not find anything. A field engineer hook up a computer and rode with me for about 2 hours. Of course noting happened. Also the service department kept the car over night and drove it with no problems. As they all have told me if no problem happens when they have it they can not fix it. Now I may turn the car back in (a lease car) and be out many thousands of dollars or drive with fear and hope nothing bad happens.

- Webster, NY, USA

Jun 072015

Outback

Vehicle was parked outside overnight. In the morning a 12" S shaped crack had appeared in the passenger side of the windshield. There was no detectable prior damage and no known impact to cause the crack. The crack has continued to grow and branch. Dealer states the windshield fails the "pen test, " I.e. there is a tiny nick at one point of the crack which, they say, proves the crack is due to impact damage. I believe the chip appeared after the crack formed, but cannot prove this (nor can the dealer prove the opposite). Online research suggests there is a design defect in 2015 Subaru Outback windshields, which fail at remarkable rate.

- Chestertown, MD, USA

May 162015

Outback

Was driving and a small rock hit the windshield. I didn't think any thing of it at the time. I parked car in the driveway. When I came out a couple of hours later there was a huge crack.

- Grimes, IA, USA

Apr 212015

Outback

Windshield has failed twice with no impacts. Latest crack started after I closed the driver door...heard a pop, then watched a crack run from the upper right across the driver's line of sight over the course of a few seconds. There was no impact to the glass, which had been replaced less than 10 days earlier, which also failed mysteriously.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Apr 192015

Outback

On 4/19/2015 was driving at 40 miles per hour in a heavy rain storm (I-75) in Georgia a crack developed in the windshield. We could not identify a source of impact to the windshield. The crack started at the very bottom center of the windshield. The crack then split into a "Y" shape and continued over the next several days. We tried to get a new windshield in sarasota, fl our first destination. Local auto glass company recommended by sarasota Subaru dealer attempted to order one to replace during our week in town. Then called to advise us it would be at least another week. We were informed there was a nationwide back log of over 600 windshields for the 2015 Subaru Outback. On 4/27/2015 contacted the Subaru dealer in silver spring, md. For possible replacement during our second stop of trip. We were again advised of a back log on that windshield. They suggested to contact the dealer near my home. On 4/27/15 contacted international Subaru of tinley park, il and all star glass as recommended by dealer. Windshield ordered 4/27/2015 and was advised again of a nationwide back order of 2015 Subaru Outback windshields by glass company and my dealer. As of 5/14/15, no windshield available, check back in another week. Subaru dealer at home thinks it was caused by a small stone. Independent mechanics think there is a pressure point on the vehicle that affected the windshield. If there is not a contributing vehicle problem with the windshield then why the very long back log for a new vehicle windshield" really that many 2015 Subaru Outbacks with windshield problems" and, 3 different dealers in 3 different parts of the country are having difficulty getting the part. When the windshield is finally replaced, will have that area carefully inspected for possible contributing factors.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Mar 122015

Outback

After just picking up my new 2015 Subaru Outback and driving in bright sunlight, I realized there is a hazardous condition related to the car's infotainment center. The area surrounding the display screen is an extremely glossy black mirror-like reflective surface. While driving, the sun reflects off of this surface into the eyes of the driver. This intensity is enough to cause eye pain, as well as distract the driver. Now when driving on a sunny day, rather than keeping both hands on the wheel, I need to use my right hand to shield my eyes from this distracting reflected glare. I attempted to purchase an anti-glare shield, but they only cover the display area (which actually is not reflective). I need to cover the reflective perimeter trim area. Subaru needs to provide an anti-glare shield that covers the entire infotainment center.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Feb 222015

Outback

I have 2015 Subaru Outback with eyesight and blind spot detection. I had stopped the vehicle in the driveway, about 10 ft from the garage, waiting for my husband to clean the floor. The engine was running. When my husband came out of the garage and signaled me to park the vehicle inside, I was about to move the vehicle slowly in the garage. However, the vehicle suddenly started like a bullet, as if it was trying to accelerate to that set speed, quickly. My husband heard the wheels screeching and the vehicle accelerating. He jumped on the side and survived by an inch or so. Within a fraction of a second, the vehicle hit the center support which supports the garage doors, then the snow blower and further struck the items kept against the wall between the house and the garage, before coming to a stop. It appears that, in addition to the brake I applied, eyesight may have helped stop the vehicle. I have been driving in the us for over 18 years without a single incident. Parking in the garage is the simplest of all the tasks. I strongly believe that the vehicle may have accelerated on it's own due to some malfunction.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA