2016 Subaru Outback brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Outback:

2016 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jun 302016

Outback

The Subaru eyesight system is dangerous. I've had two instances where the vehicle activated the forward-collision warning and started to break for reasons unknown to me. Once was in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately, the cars behind me were not too close to rear end me. This happened around 2 P.M. in the middle of summer with the sun behind the vehicle. I brought the vehicle in for recall work to the local Subaru dealership several months later and asked them to pull any relevant data for the two incidents. By then, the system cleared those two events. The dealer said I should purchase a video camera and run it in the car while driving to capture any false alarms in order to help them troubleshoot it as according to them the system does not capture any video/image data when it records an event. This is absolutely outrageous. Subaru has cameras in the eyesight system and flash memory to store data in - storing an image snapshot is not overly storage intensive, and yet I am supposed to invest several hundred dollars in an independent video camera to help Subaru debug their system. The dealership suggested not using eyesight on sunny days where the camera could be blinded by the sun. Hello - I live in Nevada, it's sunny here over 300 days per year. This would make the eyesight system practically useless and I'll lose cruise control. How am I supposed to know when it's too sunny for the system that it will malfunction?

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 182016

Outback 4-cyl

I exited the expressway. I was approaching a red light. This was where I usually make a right to go home. Obviously I was trying to slow down the car, and I stepped on the brake. And the car did not slow down. I continued pumping the brakes but the brakes would not work. My wife was in the passenger seat, and my mother-in-law was riding in the back seat. As the brakes failed, I continued attempting to slow the car. Ultimately, we were involved in a two-car collision in which the passenger side wheel-well of my car was crushed. My wife, my mother-in law, and I suffered severe injuries. My wife suffered fractured ribs, a fractured sternum, a fractured pelvis, and her ankle was crushed. My mother-in law suffered fractured ribs and a concussion. I suffered fractured ribs, and the trauma has led to a flair up of my preexisting medical conditions. Following the accident, we were rushed by ems to the hospital where we received treatment for our injuries. While my mother-in law and I were released from the hospital next day, my wife continues to receive treatment at the hospital. She had on her ankle extensive reconstructive surgery that required three metal plates to hold her bones together while they heal. She will soon begin rehabilitation, learning to walk again. My wife's recovery is expected to take many months. Shortly after buying the car, it was recalled due to issues with the car's steering column. Recently, many more of the same car have been recalled due to issues with the car's brake calipers. I believe my car may have experienced these brake issues too. I would appreciate an investigation into the brakes of 2016 Subaru Outbacks. Thank you.

- Glen Head, NY, USA

Apr 272016

Outback

A few times while slowing down or putting on the brakes I found my foot was also on the gas pedal. I find that the gas pedal and brake pedal are very close and at the same height. The last time at the dealer I asked to check out the brake pedal and was told every thing was in order.

- Reading, MA, USA

Mar 042016

Outback

The contact owns a 2016 Subaru Outback. While depressing the brake pedal to stop the vehicle, it accelerated and braked independently. The failure recurred various times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,300. The VIN was not provided.

- Kansas City, MO, USA