2016 Subaru Outback brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Outback:

2016 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Sep 182016

I exited the expressway. I was approaching a red light. This was where I usually make a right to go home. Obviously I was trying to slow down the car, and I stepped on the break. And the car did not slow down. I continued pumping the brakes but the brakes would not work. My wife was in the passenger seat, and my mother-in-law was riding in the back seat. As the brakes failed, I continued attempting to slow the car. Ultimately, we were involved in a two-car collision in which the passenger side wheel-well of my car was crushed. My wife, my mother-in law, and I suffered severe injuries. My wife suffered fractured ribs, a fractured sternum, a fractured pelvis, and her ankle was crushed. My mother-in law suffered fractured ribs and a concussion. I suffered fractured ribs, and the trauma has led to a flair up of my preexisting medical conditions. Following the accident, we were rushed by ems to the hospital where we received treatment for our injuries. While my mother-in law and I were released from the hospital next day, my wife continues to receive treatment at the hospital. She had on her ankle extensive reconstructive surgery that required three metal plates to hold her bones together while they heal. She will soon begin rehabilitation, learning to walk again. My wife's recovery is expected to take many months. Shortly after buying the car, it was recalled due to issues with the car's steering column. Recently, many more of the same car have been recalled due to issues with the car's brake calipers. I believe my car may have experienced these brake issues too. I would appreciate an investigation into the brakes of 2016 Subaru Outbacks. Thank you.

- Glen Head, NY, USA

Apr 272016

A few times while slowing down or putting on the brakes I found my foot was also on the gas pedal. I find that the gas pedal and brake pedal are very close and at the same height. The last time at the dealer I asked to check out the brake pedal and was told every thing was in order.

- Reading, MA, USA

Mar 042016

The contact owns a 2016 Subaru Outback. While depressing the brake pedal to stop the vehicle, it accelerated and braked independently. The failure recurred various times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,300. The VIN was not provided.

- Kansas City, MO, USA