2016 Subaru Outback drivetrain NHTSA complaints: Power Train

NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2016 Subaru Outback drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Outback:

2016 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jan 152016

Outback

This issue is a safety enhancement request affecting top of the line Subaru Outback 2016 limited/preimum models equipped with keyless ignition systems. This issue is similar to that reported in NHTSA id number: 10881286. Issue: It is possible for a driver to inadvertently turn off the engine (we are only human) using the start/stop button when the vehicle is in drive, park or neutral. If vehicle is on a slope, the vehicle will roll forwards or backwards on it's own. This presents a serious risk of grave bodily harm to people in the path of the unattended moving vehicle. This already happened with my vehicle, luckily it happened inside my garage on a very slight slope and my closed garage door stopped the vehicle. If my children had been behind the vehicle, removing their school bags, they would have been pinned to the garage door by a 3500 lb vehicle. Unacceptable. I repaired the slight damage body work on the vehicle at the dealer but that is irrelevant compared to the safety risk presented by this "works as designed" behavior of the car. Possible workaround: 1. Subaru needs to change this behavior and eliminate the risk by automatically engaging the electric "park brake" that is already installed in this model vehicle, when the engine is turned off. 2. disable engine stop until transmission is set to park. The current audible warning is insufficient. My 15 year old vehicle did not allow the key to be removed from the ignition slot until park lever was engaged to prevent this exact problem.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Nov 272016

Outback

3rd occurrence: While driving on a state highway, vehicle jerked, all warning lights came on and vehicle lost movement with resistance. Towed to dealer.

Oct 312016

Outback

Less than 1 week later, 2nd occurrence: While driving on interstate, all warning lights came on and vehicle suddenly lost forward movement. Vehicle was running but not engaging enough to propel vehicle. Towed to dealer, dealer repaired Pilot pin in transmission.

Oct 232016

Outback

1st occurrence: While driving on a county road, all warning lights came on. Brought vehicle back to dealer, dealer replaced the transmission.

Sep 302015

Outback

When I back up and stop and put transmission into drive there is a 3 to 4 second hesitation before the vehicle goes forward. This hesitation puts me into risk as I back out of driveway onto a busy urban street. The dealership says this the way the cvt transmission works. The problem was brought to the attention of the dealer the 1st week that I purchased the car on 09/30/2015. The problem still exists when going from a quick reverse to drive.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 202016

Outback

Stationary vehicle rolls back significantly when on any incline when in gear. It has an automatic transmission which rolls in drive and reverse. The dealer said all vehicles roll when in gear. I have owned 13 vehicles in my life, the only vehicles that would roll in gear were manual transmission vehicles which is why the last 8 vehicles I have owned have been automatic. The dealer denied this was a problem but on the Subaru Outback forum, this is a known problem for at least the past two iterations of this vehicle. The first occasion the vehicle rolled back on a good slope for at least three feet and then the tires spun when I depressed the accelerator. The hill assist feature on this car may have been of assistance but I was unfamiliar with it. The hill assist feature should not have to be engaged during normal driving. Had this slippage happened at a stoplight, the vehicle would have rolled into another and caused damage to both vehicles. Absolutely dangerous and unacceptable. The transmission acts like a manual without a clutch.

- Kernville, CA, USA

Mar 202016

- Kernville, CA, USA

Nov 122015

Outback

I was in a store parking lot. I drove approx. 2 blocks and came to a full stop where there was a pedestrian crossing. I accelerated making a left turn and began climbing a small hill to exit the parking area. I traveled approximately 20 feet and my car lost acceleration. I placed my foot on the gas pedal and pressed it down approx. 50 percent. While doing so, I did not hear the engine racing. The speedometer registered 2 miles per hour. I braked, came to a full stop and took my car out of gear. I moved it back to drive and the car responded normally.

- Portland, OR, USA