9.9

2016 Subaru Outback drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Outback:

2016 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Sep 302015

Outback

When I back up and stop and put transmission into drive there is a 3 to 4 second hesitation before the vehicle goes forward. This hesitation puts me into risk as I back out of driveway onto a busy urban street. The dealership says this the way the cvt transmission works. The problem was brought to the attention of the dealer the 1st week that I purchased the car on 09/30/2015. The problem still exists when going from a quick reverse to drive.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 202016

Outback

Stationary vehicle rolls back significantly when on any incline when in gear. It has an automatic transmission which rolls in drive and reverse. The dealer said all vehicles roll when in gear. I have owned 13 vehicles in my life, the only vehicles that would roll in gear were manual transmission vehicles which is why the last 8 vehicles I have owned have been automatic. The dealer denied this was a problem but on the Subaru Outback forum, this is a known problem for at least the past two iterations of this vehicle. The first occasion the vehicle rolled back on a good slope for at least three feet and then the tires spun when I depressed the accelerator. The hill assist feature on this car may have been of assistance but I was unfamiliar with it. The hill assist feature should not have to be engaged during normal driving. Had this slippage happened at a stoplight, the vehicle would have rolled into another and caused damage to both vehicles. Absolutely dangerous and unacceptable. The transmission acts like a manual without a clutch.

- Kernville, CA, USA

Mar 202016

- Kernville, CA, USA

Nov 122015

Outback

I was in a store parking lot. I drove approx. 2 blocks and came to a full stop where there was a pedestrian crossing. I accelerated making a left turn and began climbing a small hill to exit the parking area. I traveled approximately 20 feet and my car lost acceleration. I placed my foot on the gas pedal and pressed it down approx. 50 percent. While doing so, I did not hear the engine racing. The speedometer registered 2 miles per hour. I braked, came to a full stop and took my car out of gear. I moved it back to drive and the car responded normally.

- Portland, OR, USA