8.4

2016 Subaru Outback miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Outback:

2016 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Sep 022016

Outback

Vehicle warning lights in passenger side mirror do not activate for semi-trucks with trailers, but do activate for cars and light trucks. I tried during a 40 km. Trip on a four lane interstate highway. If passed a car or light duty truck then the light notified me that there was a vehicle in the blind spot, but if I passed a tractor-trailer unit it did not pick it up and the lights did not come on. I repeated my small experiment for 40 km. And every time was the same. I think that the tractor trailer would do a lot more damage that a small car.

- Woodstock, Ontario Canada, FL, USA

Jul 142016

Outback

Have 2016 Outback built on June 15,2016. Windshield cracked at 750 km. Mark. Traveling on paved road and no know stones hit windshield. Paid for through insurance company with a $300 deductible. Now read of all the other windshield problems. Crack started in black area just above passenger side wiper.

- Woodstock, FL, USA

Jun 282016

Outback

It is possible to inadvertently stop the car's engine when parking and transmission put in neutral. There is no visible or audible warning to alert driver to shift transmission to "park" position or and/or engage emergency brake before stopping engine and exiting the vehicle. If car is on a slope when in "neutral", it is possible to exit the car and find the car starting to roll away.I believe there should be something to prevent this, or at least actively alert the driver of the danger, and need to put in "park", before leaving car. I have had some instances of this happening, but always managed to notice it before the car moved away. I am wary of the risk.

- Vienna, VA, USA

May 272016

Outback

We purchased a 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6, fully-loaded with every bell and whistle regarding safety, comfort, and convenience in the middle of December 2015. The Subaru starlink infotainment system's technology froze causing the clock to freeze at 10:37am as well as the navigation system (no voice commands either.) the multi-touch interface not only lost functionality across the board, but it affected the message display between the tach and speedometer, as well as the touch screen options disappearing from the screen, the map would not display, you would press the audio button and after about 30 seconds, the audio screen would automatically enter split-screen mode with the navigation system. When trying to exit split-screen, the system would not respond. If I shut the radio off by the button, the system would not shut down. The radio would say, "audio off - touch here to go to source screen", however the system wouldn't shut down. The system would stay on split screen with the map, only the map would disappear. I videotaped what was happening, called starlink, Subaru of America, and the dealer, who has been awesome so far, and was told they know of one other vehicle with this situation. Subaru of America said to shut the vehicle off and "reboot" the system to see if that would help because it did in another instance, although not totally correcting the problem and only addressing the gps freeze. There are a couple of tsbs (technical service bulletins) on the radio, however none applied to the symptoms being displayed by my vehicle. Waiting on Subaru of America to address this and a roof rail issue. Dealer believes there will be many more of these complaints about the Subaru starlink infotainment system's technology. Regarding the roof rails, they do not sit flush to the roof. Dealer replaced left side already and still happening, so Subaru has to address it now.

- Ashland, MO, USA

May 022016

Outback

I took my 2016 Outback in to a dealer primarily because the passenger side blind spot detection was not functioning properly, acknowledging that it did work at times. I took in written documentation in the form of recorded occurrences of it malfunctioning, based on three trips on interstate highways totaling more than 150 miles. The documentation listed the type of highway, speed, miles driven, weather conditions (coulds, sun, rain, etc), vehicle cleanliness and the number of successful detections of other vehicles in the blind spot as well as the number of detections missed. It worked correctly well less than 50% of the time on each of the three trips. Detection on the driver's side seems to be fine. On two of the trips I had a second vehicle that I own follow me directly. That vehicle also has blind spot detection. While the Outback failed to detect more than 50% of the time, the other vehicle never failed to detect on either trip. The dealer I took the car to said they checked it out and it seemed to work fine. I considered that an insult to my intelligence. Further, through research on the web I can tell that at least several other Outback owners have experienced the exact same problem with detection on the passenger side of the vehicle. I believe that a safety system that is that unreliable presents more of a danger to the driver than not having one at all. While I understand from reading the owner's manual it can¿T be expected to be 100% accurate all the time, a detection rate that is consistently less than 50% is very poor performance. The vehicle cost more than $37,000. I paid for the accessory, and it should work.

- Richmond, OH, USA

Feb 252016

Outback

Crack in windshield had cracks appear in windshield on 2 separate days in Jan. 2016. Had the windshield replaced in mid Jan by Subaru dealer. On Feb 25 while driving on I-95 in ga. Another crack appeared in new windshield with no apparent cause. We were driving about 70 mph at about 70 mph

- Wildwood, NJ, USA

Jan 012016

Outback

2016 Subaru Outback while driving car on I-95, noticed 4-4 in. Crack in lower driver side windshield, after investigating noticed small pit size of pencil point where the crack started. Crack kept growing. Next day continued my trip on I-95, about 3 hrs later another crack appeared in the upper center of the windshield, after investigating noticed small pit the size of pencil point where the crack started. Same as first crack I did not notice any debris hitting the windshield. I researched on the internet and found numerous similar incidents with Subaru Outbacks. I believe this is a major safety issue with the glass in the windshield

- Wildwood Crest, NJ, USA