2016 Subaru Outback steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

9.0

2016 Subaru Outback steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Outback:

2016 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jan 072017

Outback

Interstate driving. 65 mph. Nighttime driving. Cruise control off. Subaru eyesight steering correction off. Three adult passengers. No luggage. No extra weight. Thule roof cargo container secured to the roof racks. Sudden encounter of ice on road. Significantly degraded steering capability. We were driving on interstate 1-90 and encountered an unexpected long patch of ice on a straight section of road. It was very smooth ice without snow cover. The car felt like the rear end wanted to come around and I had to counter steer to keep the car straight. I immediately let off the accelerator and did not touch the break. The car then became extremely difficult to steer. It felt like the car was caught in deep ice ruts, bouncing back and forth from left to right. There were no ice ruts; the ice was smooth. The motion of the car was severe enough that the motion woke passengers. I lost all confidence that I could steer the car. I did not touch either the accelerator nor the gas. I was only trying to regain steering. I eventually coasted to 40 mph before I could regain control. I have driven on ice for 25+ years and have never encountered a car like this. It felt like the car was trying to steer itself and then trying to correct itself for an over steer. This led to another correction by the vehicle. This back and forth "micro" auto correction made steering extremely difficult. This is a very dangerous car. Car has < 10,000 miles. No wrecks. Good condition. Tires in excellent condition. All tires at recommended tire pressure (40 psi) the morning before in incident. There is something fundamentally wrong with this car. It is a serious and dangerous problem.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Jun 222016

Outback

The contact owns a 2016 Subaru Outback. While driving 60 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle veered to the left without warning. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,400.

- Walton Hills, OH, USA

May 092016

Outback

The contact owns a 2016 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V292000 (steering). The contact left three messages with the dealer concerning part availability, but did not receive a response. The contact's vehicle remained parked for weeks. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

May 122016

Steering recall- no parts

- Thetford, VT, USA

Mar 122016

Outback

I was trying to leave a parking space in a wet Saturday night at a neighborhood shopping mall. After I backed up the car, I switched the gear to D trying to leave the space. However, the car simply doesn't move. To regain control, I turned off the engine and restarted the car.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 142015

Outback

I tried to make a left turn at a traffic night leaving a school parking lot on a Saturday morning. The car was at a full stop before making a left turn. The speed was about 10-15 miles/hr, just very slow. My Subaru didn't response to my steering. Instead of making a 90 degree turn, I was stuck at 30, 45 degrees angle. To avoid hitting something, I turned off the engine. After I restarted the engine, I then can regain my control.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 062016

Outback

Steering wondering from side to side, can'nt hold in center of lane. On highway or street

- Erie, PA, USA

Dec 102015

Outback

Driving in the center of my lane on a wet highway. Cruise control on at 65 mph. Lane sway on. The car acted as if the lane sway activated and gave a strong steering wheel bump like it does if you are close to the side road stripe. I was dead center in my lane, and there was no reason for it to bump the steering. It did this to me three times within a ten mile drive. After the third time I turned the lane sway off and was soon driving in town and it did not do it again. My wife says sometimes while coming to a stop at a light, the car will pull very hard and abruptly to the left. The car has 3400 miles on it, so there should be nothing wrong with brake pads or rotors.

- Rice, MN, USA