CarComplaints.com Notes: This new kid on the block has already earned the IIHS Top Safety Pick award for good ratings in 4 crash tests - moderate overlap frontal, side, rear and rollover.

6.3

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek:

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Owner Comments

Jan 182016

XV Crosstrek

Engine oil leak causing excessive oil consumption and low oil levels between reasonable recommended oil change mileage (burning 3 quarts in 1200 miles). Low oil light does not always illuminate, causing safety hazard of blowing motor due to unreasonably fast oil consumption and owner not being aware of problem. Car has 42000 miles on it and this was a known problem that dealership/Subaru are neglecting to properly fix.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

May 102015

XV Crosstrek

My 2013 Subaru Xv crosstrek is burning oil. At the time that the oil light came on, the car had 43,675 miles on it. I just read where someone else is having this same issue. I purchased this vehicle brand new 2 years ago and feel that a new car should not be burning oil.

- Edmunds Twp, ME, USA

Jul 052013

XV Crosstrek

My 2013 Subaru crosstrek xv has been burning oil since new. The dealer, and Subaru, have done nothing to help fix the issue. Currently its burning a quart of oil every 2000-3500 miles. This can't be right but Subaru tell me that it is ok for the car to "consume" a quart of oil every 1200 miles.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Oct 082013

XV Crosstrek 4-cyl

The vehicle has a continuously variable transmission. When approaching a stop light or stop sign I remove my foot from the gas pedal and then the vehicle starts to slow down. When the engine RPM's reach around 1400 RPM the vehicle quits slowing down and continues forward at what ever speed it is at. The car may not be accelerating but it feels like it is because it quits slowing down. If I touch the brake a bit the engine again slows down until it reaches the idle RPM of about 750. On several occasions I have had to quickly hit the brakes to avoid hitting the vehicle in from of me. I purchased the vehicle in Minnesota and noticed the problem within the first week but didn't pursue it until I got to Texas as this is where the vehicle will be kept. The Texas Subaru service found no diagnostic codes and drove the vehicle with me and noticed what I did. The Texas Subaru service manager had me drive a 2014 and it does the same thing but seems to start slowing down again once it has done the acceleration at 1400 RPM for a second or two. They opened a tech line case file but say there is nothing else they can do. I feel this is a safety issue that will cause an accident, maybe not for me as I now keep my foot on the brake whenever slowing down, but certainly for others.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA