NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara:

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Owner Comments

Jul 252015

Grand Vitara

My car can't seem to just blow 1 headlight, both go out at same time taking with it a small light as well. I have had the car for a little over 2 years and this is the second occurrence where the same thing has happened.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Feb 222015

Grand Vitara

My wife's vehicle is so difficult to change the headlights bulbs. Such a small compact areas. You can barely fit your hand in to remove the very small metal clip. Without seeing what you're doing. I've actually broke the clip trying to remove it. Now I have buy the whole headlamp instead of replacing what was broken. Now when the other side of the vehicles head light went out my wife had someone lose to replace it they had the same problem. They broke the clip also. It shouldn't be such a hassle to simply change your bulbs on a vehicle. On another note, to replace the entire headlamps you have to remove the whole front grill and the front lower bumper. Totally crazy. Who ever engineered this idea surely didn't think it through. Please have this vehicle recalled for this specific issue. I know I'm not the only who has the same problem.

- Auburn , GA, USA

Oct 162012

Grand Vitara 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Suzuki Grand vitara. I have changed the driver's side low beam bulb four times and the passenger's side two times. I recently replaced the fan motor twice and the resistor once. I had to replaced the erg after my check engine light came on. Now they are saying there is exhaust in my coolant system. The only part the warranty cover was one fan motor.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 072013

Grand Vitara 4WD 6-cyl

I lost both my headlights at the same time. The fog lights automatically came on, but by the next morning I had neither. Fog lights finally returned. Every time I hit a bump in the road the interior lights come on and off. I have to make sure when I exit my car the interior light goes off as I have had to turn it off manually as not to run my battery down. I received a recall notice regarding air bag and electrical but I feel there is more going on in the electrical. It cost me over a $100 last time for the headlights.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jul 152009

Grand Vitara 6-cyl

I have had to replace the low beam halogen 6 times (4 driver-side; 2 passenger-side) prior to 2013. Now the low beams will have had to be replaced 8 times due to both bulbs dying after rolling over 2 speed bumps in a parking lot. Nearly caused several low-speed accidents when other drivers were backing their cars out. At least the high beams and fog lights have been flawless. Repairpal: "there are many reports of low beam head light bulbs burning out prematurely. As of this writing Suzuki has not released a service bulletin addressing this issue..." repairpal.com/low-beam-headlight-131.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 042013

Grand Vitara

Headlights constantly burn out. I have to change the low beams every couple of months and I am beyond tired of it. Suzuki knows that this is an issue, but refuses to issue a recall to fix it. I will never buy another Suzuki vehicle again. They aren't even selling them in the us, so I guess I won't have to worry about getting another one.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Apr 232013

Grand Vitara

Low beam head light burns out constantly ~4 months. Replaced them at least 8 times since purchased new.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Apr 022012

Grand Vitara

We have had severe headlight issues with this 2006 Suzuki Grand vitara since we purchased it. The wiring harness for the headlights continue to melt even after being replaced 3 times! the dealership or Suzuki motors have been of any help and offer zero assistance with the problem. A quick search online of Grand vitara headlight issues will get thousands of results. I am confident that Suzuki is well aware of this issue, but simply refuses to issue a recall notice because it will cost them many millions of dollars in repairs. My headlight caught fire driving down the interstate and I could have been killed due to their faulty equipment. This is a problem that a gov't Agency needs to make Suzuki fix. This could cause accidents and could be fatal if headlights are bursting in to flames. I suggest anyone who has headlight harness sockets that are melting...not drive the vehicle! it can and will catch on fire!!!

- Cayce, SC, USA

Jul 082009

Grand Vitara 4WD 6-cyl

The sensor built into the passenger seat that controls the airbag is defective. The fix is a $2000 total seat replacement. Unacceptable. The car thinks a door or hatch is open and turns the overhead light on and off all the time. Another sensor. You have to be houdini to install a bulb in the front light assembly and the bulb is held by a rinky dink clip that doesn't hold so the front lights are subject to going out. The clip won't hold the bulb in place and even the dealer has problems when your bulb burns out or many times just becomes loose.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 102011

Grand Vitara

The contact owns a 2006 Suzuki Grand vitara. The contact stated that a strong chemical odor released from the vents. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the blower switch. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 139,000.

- Puyallup , WA, USA

Feb 142007

Grand Vitara

At apx. 10000 miles, the air bag light came on with the car, and did not go out. Took the vehicle to the dealer; was informed that the driver's side air bag weight sensor had failed in the seat, and would be replaced under warranty. At apx. 25000 miles, the air bag light again came on. The car was now out of warranty. I took the car to the dealer, and was informed that the air bag weight sensor in the seat had failed, and needed to be replaced. When I informed the service manager that this was the second time that this had happened, they offered to replace the sensor for $300 dollars. Which I paid for. At apx. 52000 miles, the air bag light came on again. (it was intermittent, as it would sometimes not be on) after a few months, we were involved in a minor accident, (struck by another car on rear quarter) when the car was repaired, I was asked about the seatbelt light; I was informed that the diagnostic code indicated a failure of the weight sensor. I informed the repair shop and insurance that the light was not due to the accident. While I was at the shop, the error light went out, but subsequently (within 5 miles) came back on again. The shop informed me that the problem was <<>> in the wiring harness or sensor connector, rather than the actual sensor (as the problem was intermittent.) the car has not been fixed, and the air bag light is still on. That is three air bag weight sensor related problems with the same car. This is a safety issue, and it seems to be a pervasive safety issue with the 2006 Grand vitara... [in addition, the car blows the low-beam (and sometimes high beam) headlights quite often - more than any other car I've driven in nearly 40 years of driving.]

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 012011

Grand Vitara

My Suzuki Grand vitara 2006, has error code B1312 which is a failure of the passenger seat airbag sensor. This is a major safety issue since it will not deploy any airbags in case of an accident. I have contacted Suzuki but they have been dodging this issue. I believe that Suzuki should pay for this entire repair as a safety recall. You may also find more such cases here: www.Suzuki-forums.com/2G-2006-grand-vitara/42300-error-code-B1312.html www.Suzuki-forums.com/2G-2006-grand-vitara/26724-airbag-warning-service-light-came.html www.Suzuki-forums.com/2G-2006-grand-vitara/38714-airbag-sensor-light.html thank you.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 282010

Grand Vitara

My vehicle (in addition to headlights that burn out frequently), has had the airbag sensor control light and seat belt light illuminated off and on for the past few months, accompanied by the high pitched beep-beep-beep...alarming, of course. Mine also came on a little of 54,000 mile. As it is intermittent, and I am generally in the vehicle alone, I haven't had it looked at or replaced. This will happen when no one and/or nothing is on the front seat. Various speeds (from 35 mph to freeway speeds). E lights for the front passenger seat airbag and seatbelt are constantly on. They came on at approximately 56000 miles. I was told by Suzuki of nashville that it was possibly the sensor in the front passenger seat, but not sure. Cost of $2700 to repair. Also I was told that they do not know if the airbags will deploy or if the seat belt will catch when brakes are activated. This is a safety issue and should be addressed by Suzuki - possible a recall would be the proper approach. Apparently the sensor module needs to be replaced, not the whole seat. It seems ridiculous to charge $2700 for a front seat cushion when the car is worth approx $10,000.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Nov 152010

Grand Vitara

Airbag sensor control module and seat belt light problem. The lights for the front passenger seat airbag and seatbelt are constantly on. They came on at approximately 56000 miles. I was told by Suzuki of nashville that it was possibly the sensor in the front passenger seat, but not sure. Cost of $2700 to repair. Also I was told that they do not know if the airbags will deploy or if the seat belt will catch when brakes are activitated. This is a safety issue and should be addressed by Suzuki - possible a recall would be the proper approach. Apparently the sensor module needs to be replaced, not the whole seat. It seems riduculous to charge $2700 for a front seat cushion when the car is worth approx $10,000.

- Christiana, TN, USA

May 012010

Grand Vitara

Low beam headlights frequently burn out airbag seat sensor twice changed, now it is out of warranty. Check engine light turns on frequently. Ac blows hot air suddenly. Power steering plastic tensioner may break out. Rear wheel cover impact wiil dent backdoor.

- Aguadilla, PR, USA

May 102010

Grand Vitara

All was normal in the events leading up to the defective items below: Ac fan blower motor- broken, needed to be replaced. No air blowing through vents. Airbag warning light- broken, passenger seat cushion needs to be replaced.

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Jul 122010

Grand Vitara

SUV lost power while in traffic would not take gas took to dealer could not find problem two weeks later same thing had to get boosted three times to get to dealer they said it was alternator this could have caused an accident.

- Mount Pearl Nfld Canada, ME, USA

Sep 012006

Grand Vitara 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased a Suzuki Grand vitara in July of 2006. Shortly after purchase, 4 weeks at the most, the check engine light came on. I called the dealer faulkner Suzuki (harrisburg, pa) and took the car in for service. I was told that it was an oxygen sensor malfunction. They changed the sensors. But this did not fix the problem. Thereafter, approximately every 4 to 8 weeks, the check engine light came on - to which the service department at faulkner responded by changing the oxygen sensors and replacing the associated computer. Also of note, their was a problem with the wheels on the car (which impaired steering at highway speeds) to which the service department responded with having me purchase new tires - the car was 8 months old at this point (this did not fully resolve that problem, although it did improve somewhat). During all this, the car was emitting a smoke smell/exhaust into the cabin of the vehicle. The service department could not figure out what was causing this (I was told that the technicians could not detect the smoke smell/exhaust). With all of this in mind, I am writing to express concerns about the businesses practices of Suzuki. When the problems with the car began, I asked to have my trade in vehicle returned to me or to have a replacement vehicle (as I felt unsafe driving the car I purchased) neither request was honored. I had not expected to have any problems with a new car, no one does. So when a problem arose, my expectation was that it would be immediately resolved, this was not the case. Overall, in my opinion, this matter was poorly handled - it took over a year and legal involvement before Suzuki would buyback their faulty vehicle. As a consumer, I feel that this company showed little concern for my safety, time, or money. I implore you to investigate this matter and work to ensure that any future Suzuki customers receive better service and a better (safe) product.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 012006

Grand Vitara 6-cyl

- the contact stated that her 2006 Suzuki Grand vitara, has had several safety issues since she's purchased the vehicle last year. The first problem was her air bag sensor; she stated that when there is someone sitting on the passenger front side the air bag sensor constantly turns on and off. She has stated that sometimes if you sit in the seat a certain way the airbag sensor works. She has taken the vehicle to the dealership and they changed the computer in the vehicle on one occasion. The seat continued to have the same problem and she took the vehicle back and they changed the seat sensor and that didn't work. The stated that they have also re calibrated the seat and the seat sensor was still malfunctioning. On 03/16/07 while driving at a speed of 60 mph she tried to pass two vehicles on the expressway and the vehicle stalled. She stated that the engine accelerated, but instantly the vehicle lost power. She noticed that the engine light was on, but not sure if any other lights turned on. The contact stated that the vehicle coasted to the side of the road and was able to restart the vehicle immediately. The contact stated that she drove two miles and had the vehicle towed to the dealership. The contact stated that as of now she's waiting for the diagnostic evaluation of the vehicle. The current mileage was 7016.

- Kailua-Kona, HI, USA