1998 Toyota 4Runner miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota 4Runner:

1998 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Sep 072016

The frame on my Toyota 4runner has severe rusting. Right now the car cannot be driven. The mount on the chassis that holds the rear lower control arm has completely broken off the frame. Looks just like many others who have had this same problem. Now I don't know what to do. I'm without a car and was lucky that I was not in a serious accident. I understand a new frame could cost $10,000 and a new car could cost $47,000. My Toyota has 240,000 miles and otherwise runs great. I do live in the northeast and have lived in Vermont during the winters. I try to wash my car and chassis often due to the salt. Many people ask if my car is for sale because I keep it in such good shape but I have no control over the rusting chassis problem. I have no idea what to do next, help

- Garden City, NY, USA

Sep 012010

The frame has become severely rusted and has become unsafe to operate

- Madison Heights, VA, USA

May 272016

I own a wonderful 1998 Toyota 4runner ltd sport vehicle. The frame is disappearing due to severe rust. The heat shield has worn away, and now my feet get very hot after just 20 minutes of local driving. Have had it checked by a garage, nothing functionally wrong with my SUV.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Oct 082015

While having repairs made to differential housing for a rust hole, mechanic pointed out rust holes though frame on both sides of vehicle about mid vehicle. Mechanic cautioned that vehicle will soon be unsafe to drive. Vehicle is otherwise in good condition and well maintained.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Aug 232015

Frame is rotting away on right side of vehicle. I have noticed this on multiple Toyota 4runners of this era. This makes it impossible to service the vehicle as well since it is no longer safe to raise with a vehicle lift that lifts at the frame. When accelerating to 20-25 mph and letting off the rear of the vehicle sways tremendously and is greatly amplified when trying to accelerate back up to speed.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jul 042015

Frame rot/rust and mechanic won't work on it to remove, rebalance tires. Under frame is rusted out. Not safe.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

May 142015

Rusted frame multiple areas. Rear stabilizer bar rusted off while pulling out into traffic leaving my place of employment. I heard a noise, pulled over and looked but didnt see the problem. While home I looked again and found the stabilizer bar hanging rusted off of the frame. I had someone look further and they found multiple areas with rust including the opposite side looks ready to do exact thing and lose the stablizer bar to rust

- Springfield, MA, USA

Jul 202012

I was getting off 385 onto woodruff road. I needed to get over into the other lane because I was going to turn down ordhird park road and there is only one lane that allows you too. I put on my blinker and got over. Once I had gotten over this man started to honk his horn and drove up to the rear of my car and a very fast pace. He kept honking so I pulled into the shopping center right beside the kangaroo gas station. I was then about to turn onto orchird park when the white Chrysler came by and stopped in front of me and started honking and flicking me off. He finally got out of the way and so I pulled onto orchird park. He then proceeded to stick his fingers out of the window and flick me off and keep slamming on his brakes. He was and older white male. He should be taken off the road for this type of behavior. In no way did I cut him off. At all times I followed the road safety rules. The vehicle was a white Chrysler 300 with chrome all around the trim. Then man had some type of bandage on his hand. And her wore glasses.

- Greenville, SC, USA