1998 Toyota 4Runner steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota 4Runner:

1998 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jun 132013

Two weeks ago I was driving down a flat paved road and my lower ball joint (atm 1012460) came off for no reason causing me to skid to a halt. My tire was sideways and pushed into my fender causing damage to the wheel well and other parts. This part (lower ball joint) was replaced 8 months prior along with tie rods, axle, control arm, upper ball joint and a number of other items in that area. Riebes auto parts replaced the faulty ball joint, tire, fender, and other parts that were damaged. I just got it back last night and my wife stated it felt like it was pulling to the left. I drove it to my mechanic and on the way the other side popped of going 15 mph on a flat road. So all the same damage again. This is a serious issue because Y wife and kids were just in the car a few hours before this happened. If it would have occurred on the freeway it would have resulted in rolling. Altrom lower ball joint for a 1998 Toyota 4runner was the part.

- Alta, CA, USA

Nov 162012

4Runner 6-cyl

Vehicle started shaking and clunking. I was near home and able to get it back to my driveway. Upon towing to the mechanic, it was discovered that the rear control arm had rusted out and detached from the frame. Frame rot was discovered on the side rails. Car is considered undriveable and should be totaled.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Mar 242002

The contact previously owned a 1998 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that his son was drving the vehicle 55 mph and the vehicle suddenly loss control and rolled over into the median. The accident was fatal and the driver died. A police report was filed. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The failure and current mileages were 60,000.

- Lithonia, GA, USA