8.0

1. clean contacts on transfer case actuator (1 reports)
1999 Toyota 4Runner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Toyota 4Runner:

1999 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Feb 112013

4Runner Limited 3.4L V6

I was headed out to go ice fishing one cold February day and when I got to the lake I shifted to 4WD but the indicator light just flashed. I drove back and forth and cut the wheels which usually works but it would not go into 4wd this day. I switched back to 2WD and the indicator light kept right on flashing. It eventually stopped flashing after I turned the truck off and on if I recall correctly. Anyway I tried but I couldn't drive out on the lake in 2WD because of the 1 foot of snow so I had to turn around and go all the way back home which was about 120km away.

I had a hard time getting to work and back over the next week or so while I waited for my appointment with my mechanic. It's amazing how easy it is to get stuck when the 4wd doesn't work anymore! I kept getting stuck in my parking spot at my apartment and had to rock it back and forth to get out. My mechanic looked it over and he just cleaned the electrical connections on the 4WD actuator on top of the transfer case and it started working again. Still working about a year later.

- , Athabasca, Alberta, canada