2000 Toyota 4Runner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Toyota 4Runner:

2000 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jul 282016

4Runner ES V6

I have been taking my Toyota 4Runner to a local dealership ( Haley toyota) for years on and off since I purchased it in 2005. It goes to them for the major checks and what not. I have never had a mechanic or service rep say a word about rust on the vehicle. I came in for a state inspection and they showed me the underside where a hole had rusted into the frame. Their fix was to direct me to their sales manager to purchase a new vehicle. I have two Toyotas, and they may be my last depending on the outcome of this problem. Not one time has anyone said a word until July 2016 about rust on this vehicle.

- , Powhatan, VA, USA

May 312010

4Runner V6

Rear axle housing has rusted through . . . while the vehicle is over 10 years old it only has 113,715 miles on the odometer . . . this wouldn't be a real issue except that the estimated cost to replace this part is over $1,000 (not counting labor costs) vs. $50-$100 to replace this part on a domestic vehicle. In addition, both the local mechanic and dealership said this is a common problem which apparently has not been remedied by Toyota . . . the mechanic said the part is notably thinner compared to similar parts made by other manufacturers. I'm rather disappointed in the "reliability" of Toyota.

- , Unity, ME, USA