2001 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota 4Runner:

2001 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 102013

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, she was informed by an independent mechanic that due to the massive amount of corrosion to the frame, the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 125,000.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Aug 282013

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that he noticed the muffler making a loud noise when driving at various speeds. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that the rear sub frame mount area was corroded and exhibited holes. The manufacture advised the contact that the vehicle was a Canadian vehicle therefore it could not be repaired in the United States. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 229,000.

- Traverse City , MI, USA

Apr 012013

4Runner 6-cyl

Frame rusted through at rear near muffler. Bottom of frame section approximately 4" missing, inside of frame perforated through approximately 18". rear support rod structural integrity compromised. Vehicle was purchased new from local deal (lynch Toyota, manchester ct) and is one owner garaged and maintained. Contacted Toyota and local dealer. Both unwilling to take any action. No recall on this vehicle.

- Bolton, CT, USA

May 052012

4Runner 6-cyl

3rd generation 2001 Toyota 4runner with excessive frame and body rust. The gas tank stem is rusted, the rear differential is literally porous and leaking oil due to excessive rust. Rear bumper is rusted, spare tire mount is rusted. Other areas of rust are too numerous to list. Repair shop said car is not worth fixing. Dana Corp that made frames for Toyota Tacoma/Tundra that were recalled also is best know for rear differentials. Why weren't the 4runners included in the recall/buyback by Toyota?

- Scituate, MA, USA

Dec 012008

The 2001 Toyota 4 runner is rusting out. My son and I both have cut our self on the rear bumper. I needed stitches for my injury. I have a scar to remind me not to purchase another Toyota. The rust got so bad, I lost my bumper. When I looked under my vehicle at the frame, the entire bottom of the vehicle is riddled w/rust, including the frame. Called Toyota to see if I could at least get a safety inspection of my frame, they told me that my 01 4runner was not part of any recall and any inspection would cost me money.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Dec 212008

Hello, I own a 2001 4runner and the front and rear bumpers are rusting horribly with the front and rear bumpers actually having an hole all the way through. I have contacted Toyota directly on 2 occasions and they have refused to do anything. I have been patching with fiberglass but the rust continues. I live in Massachusetts and every 2001 4runner that I see on the road has the same problem. This is a safety issue since the rust affects the integrity of the function of the bumpers in the event of a collision. Also, I cannot get an inspection sticker with holes in the bumpers. The cost to replace them is well over $1,300. From a visual inspection, large chunks will continue to rust off the inside of the bumpers during the next 6 months.

- Sudbury, MA, USA

May 032009

The front and rear bumpers on my 2001 Toyota 4runnder are completely rusted out (from the inside out). The rest of the vehicle is in excellent condition. Never been in an accident. Anyone walking by the vehicle could accidentally brush by the bumpers and get cut from the jagged edges; also not sure what good they would do in case of any impact.

- Attleboro, MA, USA