2001 Toyota 4Runner electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota 4Runner:

2001 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Oct 072014

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota 4runner. While driving approximately 35 mph, the check engine indicator illuminated and the traction control became disabled. The dealer stated that the programming of the computer needed to be reconfigured. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Bangor, ME, USA

Feb 082013

4Runner 6-cyl

My fuse for my windows blew, then we found out that my wiring harness in the backseat had burned up. Further inspection revealed that the main wiring harness was also fried. Three different mechanics determined that the cause was a malfunction of the airbag wiring. There was no sign of wear and tear or outside influence. The airbags created the problem, are now compromised and are completely unsafe. I can no longer drive the car and even if repaired, the airbags are now compromised forever rendering the car useless. Toyota denies any responsibility. They claim that the car is too old to be their problem. This is a major safety issue that needs attention so that nobody else has the same experience or worse, is killed due to airbags deploying at will.

- Snowmass, CO, USA

Mar 122010

Less than 20000 miles after I had a remanufactured transmission installed, by Toyota, in my 2001 Toyota 4runner the vehicle became unresponsive to throttle input. The engine was running but the vehicle would not move in any gear. I put the vehicle in park and let off of the brake and the vehicle began rolling backwards down the hill. I applied the foot brake to keep the car from rolling further and shut off the vehicle. After a few minutes I started the vehicle back up low and behold, the vehicle operated normally. Today, I had a surge in the transmission while driving and the check engine light came on. Contacted Toyota for service. I have had numerous electrical problems with this vehicle but feel that this one posed a safety hazard worthy of reporting.

- Randolph Center, VT, USA