2002 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota 4Runner:

2002 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 132008

4Runner 6-cyl

I have already filed a safety complaint regarding my sudden acceleration accident approximately 4 years ago. I noticed that Toyota has issued a recall for this problem for Toyota 4runners going back to 2003. My vehicle is a 2002. Basically, I'm writing to urge NHTSA to asktoyota what is different about the gas pedal assembly from 2003 to 2002 because there is no doubt there was a major malfunction with my car and if the assemble & parts manufactures is the same from 03 to 02 then the recall should be extended. Also, the other main reason I'm writing you is so that there is a record of me requesting my vehicle be included in the recall so that way if something happens to me again we will have a record of it.

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

May 102012

I have a 2002 Toyota SR5 4runner with extreme frame rot frame the inside out. Experts agree that I have only a year or two left with this frame. I have had repairs to pass inspection but this is only a band aid. I understand that I live in a state where road salt is used, but to have the frame rot from the inside out shows a design flaw or inferior steel used fro the frame, possibly inadequate corrosion protection. Just a bad scenario not which way you put it. Rot from the inside out is just unacceptable.

- Cheswick, PA, USA

Oct 102009

Large amount of rust on the underbody, gas tank shield and front brakes. Just purchased this vehicle used with 39K miles and have been finding lost of corrosion. Tried to use rust remover and neutralizer and wire brush. Hope I can get it under control before the entire thing falls apart.

- Hansville, WA, USA

Sep 012009

I have a 2002 Toyota 4runner. It's under my wife's name but I am the one that's in charge of automotive issues. The bumpers have been hanging down on the front and rear. As I drive around the city, I've started to notice majority of the 4runners in the same model having the same issue. This makes me think that there is a defect. I believe it's a safety defect especially since bumpers are not just for cosmetic reasons, its highly effective in a crash situation. It's a safety issue because it is also linked to the airbag sensors and I am afraid that it may go off at any time. I've gone on forums and found that others talk about this also. They also talk about rusting around the bumper area which is something I have on my 4runner also. I hope your department looks into this matter thoroughly and get back to me about it.

- Austin, TX, USA