2002 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota 4Runner:

2002 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 282016

4Runner

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota 4runner. While the vehicle was being serviced, the technician found severe corrosion on the passenger side. The contact stated that the frame would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 150,000.

- Newell, WV, USA

Sep 122015

4Runner 4WD 6-cyl

Hello. I purchased a 2002 Toyota 4runner limited edition last fall in Pennsylvania. The car had passed the Pennsylvania state inspection with passed validated inspection tags in the front window. I took the car to my mechanic, welder and beechmont Toyota (cincinnati oh) and the consensus is the car needs the car frame replaced. The car frame has rust holes and is rusted along with a rusted undercarriage. The integrity of the car is compromised, because the car frame has rusted holes in it, criteria that should not have passed pa state inspection. It does not have a safe car frame. I was sold a vehicle that passed pa state inspection and the car had holes in the rusted car frame.the sales guy who sold me the car, said that the car had passed state inspection in which the sticker in the windshield shows. I researched the state inspection criteria and I think it is 5A and 5iii that reference checking the car frame. Pendot did not take any responsibility for their failure of approving the state inspection. I asked for my money back ($6,200) from the car salesman plus I had to pay about $500 Ohio tax and was told that it had passed Pennsylvania state inspection and they would not refund my money. This car has a rusted damaged frame with holes and needs to be off the road as it's dangerous. I am asking for my money back, and I'll return the vehicle as it should not have passed Pennsylvania state inspection. Thank you.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 152016

4Runner

My 2002 4runner's frame is rusted through in many places. This is very unsafe and Toyota should fix this problem. They have yet to recall the 4runners but, have recalled the Tacoma and sequoia. I do not have the money to do this repair. I am buried in debt from a heart transplant and this is just unacceptable. I think people will die from this problem. Please respond so I have some information please. Thanks, robert matteo 614-581-7904 columbus, Ohio

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 052016

Frame is badly rusted out. Vehicle only has 80,000 miles

- Harwich, MA, USA

Jan 152016

4Runner

Frame cracked/rusted dealership reported that the frame (right rear) was cracked.... car is unsafe to drive.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Mar 202016

4Runner

My 2002 Toyota 4runner has a couple quarter sized rust hole on the rear right side of the frame. Located on the inside next to the exhaust muffler. The entire rest of the frame is in very good condition, it's weird to me that just this particular spot is completely rusted through, this is a huge safety hazard and I know Toyota should step up and do something about this. I read online most people have this same problem in the same exact spot. Seems like a defect in the frame. I'm hoping to have Toyota cover this incident. Thanks for reading. Brandon

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jan 282015

4Runner

Fame deteriorating prematurely, skid plate that protects fuel tank showed signs of rust. After inspecting found rotting from inside out.when replacing in may of 2014, found that strap that holds fuel tank rusted completely away, two bolts from the rusted skid plate only thing holding fuel tank in place.same conditions exist over entire frame, rust falls off in sheets when frame is tapped on with hammer.brought my concerns to dealership in Jan.of 2015 of rust issue, they informed me nothing would be done.

- Sandusky, OH, USA

Jan 272016

4Runner

The frame of the vehicle is rotting out with rust. The 4runner has never been in snow and has been taken well care of and the frame is still eroding away with rust at an unnatural rate. This issue must be addressed for the sake of so many unaware owners!

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jan 092016

4Runner

I visited a Toyota dealership for routine maintenance (oil change) and inspection of 4 wheel drive system. After the vehicle was raised on the lift, the service advisor asked me to join him and the shop mechanic in the service bay where I was shown that the frame / chassis of the vehicle has rusted the point where in their opinion it was no longer safe to operate. After close inspection, I had agreed with their assessment. An online search for a recall notice was performed, but none was found. Otherwise, this vehicle is in meticulous condition with no body damage or rust or any mechanical problems.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 032016

4Runner

Frame is rusted through on right side from middle of the frame to just over the rear axel. There are large holes and rusted slots that are over 10 inches long damage starts before the rear suspenshion support and continues to the other side and the side where the rust has caused holes and long slots the whole frame can be squeezed easily with your hand.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Oct 162013

4Runner

Frame rusted through. There is a hole in frame because of rust.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Sep 302015

4Runner

Vehicle was stationary. While replacing exhaust system components. Found what appeared to be minor rust on the passenger (right) side rear suspension mount. Further investigation uncovered a larger area of rust along the 3 welds on the inner frame rail. Cut / ground the metal back to good metal and am in the process of patching for my yearly Maine vehicle inspection. Either Toyota has built an inferior frame or the newer chemicals being used to keep the roads clear in the winter to be the cause of this rust which could cause the rear suspension to fail at this point in the frame and cause a accident.

- Turner, ME, USA

Sep 092015

4Runner

Frame rusted under 4 runner and on bumper told by person working on sway bar links. Stated excessive rust on frame and rear axle.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Sep 032015

4Runner

Frame has excessive rust and has holes in parts of it. The rest of the body and interior are in great condition. Engine runs well and there are otherwise no major mechanical issues. Upon having a minor repair done, inspection showed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive with the frame in that condition as it is about to crack in half. This seems to be prematurely failing compared to the rest of the vehicle.

- Highland Heights, KY, USA

Apr 022015

4Runner

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota 4runner. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the entire rear end of the frame completely rusted. In addition, the rack and pinion was faulty and replaced by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failrue mileage was 120,000.

- Worthington, MA, USA

Nov 282014

4Runner 6-cyl

2002 Toyota 4 runner SR5, 98,000 miles. Always dealer serviced. This will be my last state nys inspection as I will be unable to have the truck inspected in 2015 due to body frame rot, need to incur costs to replace body frame. Truck is in excellent condition with the exception of frame rot. Have also replaced the bumper, the gas tank shield and have been told front oil pan shield needs replacing as dealer can not perform oil change, due to this problem. I have contacted Toyota waiting for a reply.

- Mahopac, NY, USA

Nov 102014

4Runner

Extensive rust thru on drivers side of frame, rear suspension link rusted to the point where complete failure in coming soon. Last two feet of frame completely gone. Doubt it will pass another safety inspection without significant repair. Rear differential rusted to the point gear oil leaks. This is common on all 4 runners and should be recalled just like the Tacoma.

- Bowdoinham, ME, USA

Sep 052014

4Runner 4WD 6-cyl

My 2002 4runner was purchased brand new from Toyota in November of 2001. I live in New York so it does snow 2 or 3 months out of the year. It has been used as a second vehicle to pick up supplies and the like, otherwise it is rarely used. At this time it has approx. 139000 miles. The truck would not start and I took it to a mechanic. I was told there is an extreme amount of rust under the vehicle, the undercarriage, the frame, the gas tank, etc. The problem is the fuel pump but because of so much rust, removing the gas tank to change the fuel pump may cause damage to the components connecting the tank to the frame of the vehicle. It is a shame that Toyota sells a vehicle that may need to be junked due to the amount of rust it has. I understand that many other owners have the same problem with the 4runner and something should be done. I bought a 1999 Camry brand new prior to the 4runner and I had it for 12 years before giving it to a friend who still drives it to this day and it has no rust. The 4runner runs great all of the years I have owned it but I am being told by my mechanic that it is possible the body of my truck could fall from the frame. At 139000 miles this should not be happening. Toyota should offer some kind of repair to these issues. My truck looks almost brand new except for some rust on the front and rear bumpers and now I may have to junk it.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

May 282014

4Runner 6-cyl

There is excessive rust on the frame rails which support the body of the vehicle thus weakening the critical supportive components. This creates a possible dangerous situation which may go unnoticed until failure occurs. This has been a common problem with other Toyota vehicles and should be addressed for the 4runners.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Jan 032011

4Runner 6-cyl Diesel

Vehicle frame, front & rear bumpers and undercarriage have excessive / unsafe rust corrosion.

- Bellvale , NY, USA