CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2003 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota 4Runner:

2003 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 122012

Badly rusted frame

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Nov 212016

4Runner

Vehicle had frame perforations from corrosion and completely corroded gas tank straps (both straps). Both of these represent safety hazards and had to be repaired to pass state inspection. The frame corrosion problem with the 2003 4runner and similar vehicles is well known and needs to be addressed by Toyota. Since Toyota has known about this for some time and not acted on it there needs to be intervention from the NHTSA to address the issue.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Dec 082016

4Runner

While vehicle was at the repair shop (vehicle was stationary) ongoing a service maintenance, the technician noticed a huge rot hole going along the passenger frame and another rust hole on the bottom radiator support.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Dec 082016

4Runner

I was doing some maintenance and service on my 2003 4 runner and noticed a huge rot hole in the framed just ahead of the right rear track bar.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Sep 012015

4Runner

Frame rust - car is basically not safe to drive

- Arlington, MA, USA

Sep 082016

4Runner

Extreme frame corrosion. Frame condition is making vehicle unsafe to drive.

- Litchfield, NH, USA

Aug 182016

4Runner

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota 4runner. While the vehicle was at an independent mechanic for routine repair, the technician diagnosed that the subframe underneath the front part of the vehicle was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,834.

- Eatontown, NJ, USA

Aug 172016

4Runner 6-cyl

This 2003 Toyota 4runner has 135,000 miles on the odometer and the frame and exhaust system including catalytic converter are completely rusted out and the vehicle is now unsafe to drive. Some frame components have completely rusted and broken off from the frame I.e. tow hooks, exhaust and engine mounts. The frame is only held on to the body by the shock absorbers. The vehicle can no longer be driven safely. The cost to repair this damage would be prohibitive and I believe that this issue needs to be addressed by Toyota. I purchased this vehicle in good faith and trusted that Toyota quality would last. Please advise any possible recourse. Thank you

- Plympton, MA, USA

Jul 142016

4Runner

Noticed the right front wheel making awful sound. I had my mechanic to take a look. It is the wheel bearings going out, but then proceeded to tell me that the rust is so bad underneath that all the hose lines will have to be replaced. Brake lines leaking, transmission line leaking. All will have to be replaced. The rust is eating away underneath the car like cancer. No stopping it. The sway bars are rusting into as well. Our mechanic will let us know how much it will cost to repair the lines...but is it worth spending the money on"?" this is our 7th Toyota that we have owned, always taken excellent care of vehicle, and I have never experience such a rusty mess. Love my 4runner but really don't know what to do with it!

- Bryson City, NC, USA

Sep 012014

4Runner

Frame has significant rust and has developed a hole up near the front of the car. I've had the rust sandblasted off and the frame re-coated, but should the frame fail, it could result in a real safety problem. Driver seat belt does not retract properly, which could result in the seatbelt not being snug enough to prevent injury in the event of an accident

- Monument, CO, USA

Jul 152016

4Runner

Have rust on my frame. Have hole near my cat converter that Toyota found during inspection which failed because of the hole. They recommended I take somewhere else to patch to save money. Seems dangerous that frame is rusting to the point that it caused a hole.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jan 012005

4Runner

Extensive and severe frame/chassis rust and corrosion throughout. This is a well-know problem with both 4runner and Tacoma

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 082016

4Runner

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota 4runner. While the vehicle was being serviced for annual routine maintenance, the dealer observed that the frame was severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 235,000.

- Metamora, MI, USA

Jun 052012

Extensive premature frame rust

- Endwell, NY, USA

Mar 212016

4Runner

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota 4runner. While at an independent mechanic for repairs, the mechanic diagnosed that the entire subframe was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 141,000.

- Cooperstown, PA, USA

Feb 012013

4Runner

I purchased my Toyota new in 2003 and have had it serviced by the same dealer as per schedule. I have 300469 miles but have rusting frame even though I wash under frame on a regular basis. I have been told by the mechanics at the dealer that is just thw nature of the make. I plan on keeping my car because it runs very well with little or no problems witb exception of rust. The Tacoma of the same year was tecslled.for this same reason but not the 4 runner with the same frame

- Marion, OH, USA

Jan 252016

4Runner

Failed state inspection 1/25/16 due to rusted and perforated frame. It passed the inspection 1/26/15 just before selling vehicle to us. We have put less than 7000 miles on it since purchase on 1/28/15.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Oct 062015

4Runner 6-cyl

While driving on the highway the passenger rear side of my Toyota 4runner began to move up and down and wobble making the car wander all over the road. We immediately went to the local Toyota dealer, carver Toyota of columbus in taylorsville, in. Inspecting the car on the passenger rear side we found that the rear suspension had pulled away from the frame where the frame had completely rusted leaving a big hunk out of the frame. There was extensive rusting of the frame in multiple places. The car was inspected and photographed by matt Warren, service manager at carver Toyota and was determined to be undriveable. This is a well maintained vehicle which is in tip-top condition in every other respect than the rusted frame. We are very upset to lose a good car which still had a lot of value still left in it to us. We also feel that this is a very important safety issue. We were incredibly lucky that neither we nor anybody else on the highway that day were injured by this dangerous situation. And we are very concerned that this has been reported in other 4runners as well and there hasn't been a recall and these dangerous vehicles are still on the road. We are holding on to the vehicle hoping that there will be some remedy for this situation. Thank you so much for your attention.

- Nashville, IN, USA

Nov 222015

4Runner

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota 4unner. While driving over a pothole at approximately 25 mph, a loud bang emitted outside of the vehicle. The vehicle wandered out of the lane independently and became difficult to steer. The failure occurred when encountering uneven road surfaces and potholes. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the entire frame was completely corroded. The vehicle was beyond repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 04/14/16

- Highland Lakes, NJ, USA

Dec 202015

4Runner

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota 4runner. While backing out of the driveway, the lower control arm failed and the vehicle became inoperable. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and an inspector sent by the manufacturer examined the damage. The inspector determined that the subframe bracket, which holds the lower control, had rusted and caused the lower control arm to fail. The inspector recommended that the entire frame of the vehicle be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Lancaster, NY, USA