Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2003 Toyota 4Runner brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota 4Runner:

2003 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jul 052016

4Runner Limited 3.2L V6

I vented on my last post. From what I have read Toyota should recall this part. I felt is was best to just take it into the dealership and pay the $3800 to have it repaired. This problem sucks.

- , Princeville, HI, USA

Aug 222009

4Runner 4.0L

We had an auto accident and was hit in the front end. Took to the body shop.. when we left the shop heading down the highway the front end locked up on the left side for about 10ft. And then broke free again. Another mile down the road the right side locked up. I never knew when it was going to lock up. Took it to Toyota they said it could be a number of sensors going out. I asked who would make a vehicle when driving down the road one side or the other would lock up and shoot you from one side to the other. They had no answers.

- , Nampa, ID, USA