Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2003 Toyota 4Runner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota 4Runner:

2003 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Sep 012009

4Runner Limited V4

This has been reported and across the web but the fix does not work. I have a 2003 4Runner I bought with 12K on it. Almost within a few months a clunking noise can be felt and heard from the rear end. After much complaining the repair technicians stated that its normal. THIS IS CLEARLY A DESIGN PROBLEM. After constant complaints the DRIVE SHAFT PROPELLER was replaced (37110-6A480) at 32K miles. After about 3-4K more miles, its back!!! I am very very disappointed in Toyota design since I've owned several Tacoma trucks and they were just unbelievable when is came to long term quality. My prior experience lead me to rethink another Toyota but now reading that Toyota has no permanent fix? I want a permanent fix and nothing less!

- , Millbury, MA, USA