CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

6.6

2. replace dashboard (8 reports)
  3. toyota will recall and replace dashes on 2003-2005 4runner (2 reports)
2004 Toyota 4Runner accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota 4Runner:

2004 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 062012

4Runner Limited V8

Have owned American made cars & never encountered this issue. My vehicle is extremely well taken care of, even the dealership commented on how great of shape it's in. I think it's ridiculous that Toyota not repairing at their costs, I've never had anyone putting their feet on my dash, vehicle garage kept & cracking is where passenger airbag is - the dash is defective! What's really absurd is the same day I'm told my costs, over $700 -more than the 50%, dealership sends me a letter to give me a deal on a new Toyota, REALLY! I have already been frustrated with my wheels - finish peeling off & "oh well" attitude, next vehicle will definitely look at other manufacturers. It's just mind boggling that in this economy Toyota doesn't care if they lose their client's loyalty.

- , Palm Bay, FL, USA

Aug 132010

4Runner SR5 Sport V8

My 2004 4Runner has 77,000 miles,bought it brand new with 28 miles.A few years ago the dashboard started cracking by the instrument panel , now its all the way to the passengers air bag.It has 3 different cracks all over,this is my only complaint,other than that my vehicle is in great shape,there certainly needs to be a recall on this,why should we have to pay for this as I am not the only person this is happening to.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Jan 012009

4Runner SR5 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 in mint condition w/ 62000 miles except for the cracks on the dashboard that started around 2009 above the glove box and spreading around air vent. This is our 5th Toyota vehicle and we never have problem before. The car is garaged all the time and little used since we most drive our 2005 Toyota Matrix (w/out dashboard problems). I have seen a lot of posts including one that states, quote: "I live in South Florida. The dealership who took careof all my dashboard issues is called Al Hendrickson Toyota....and their svc department is great. The owner and service manager lobbied on my behalf w/ Toyota and I received a new dash and the dealership only charged me 300 for installation. Why we shouldn't be treated at same level and have the dashboard replaced? Also, I have concern about safety since the air bag is hidding under just around glove box!

- , Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jun 032011

4Runner Sports Edition 4x4 3.2L V6

It looks just like the pictures above. I am very careful with my car. I park it in the at home in my garage and covered parking at work. I always treat the dashboard with armerol or bay oil for protection. In-spite of all this the ugly crack occurred. I took it to the dealer today. he said the only thing to do is to change it. Off coarse it is not covered by warranty. He warned me against covering it as there is an air bag underneath. This does not happen in the cheapest cars and is a defect. It should be corrected by Toyota. Their quality has been deteriorating.

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 132010

4Runner

I purchased my car second hand, one previous owner. After owning it approximately one year, the dashboard on the passenger side started cracking. It now looks like a road map! Toyota says it is not warranteed!

- , Dunedin, FL, USA

Sep 132010

4Runner V6

Anytime my truck is in the sun I have always put sun shades in wind shield (ALWAYS). I have vent shades so I can roll windows down a little to let heat out and keep the dash lubricated with a premium silicone base vinyl coating. At home I have a carport. There is no reason why this dash cracked. I am dissapointed in Toyota.

- , New Port Richey, FL, USA

Apr 112008

4Runner SR5 V6

It has multiple cracks on the dashboard on the passenger side. It is annoying having a 4 year old car with cracks in it.

- , Bayamon, PR, Puerto Rico