Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

1. change the master cylinder brake pump (1 reports)
2004 Toyota 4Runner brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota 4Runner:

2004 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Aug 172015

4Runner Limited 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

abs not working properly

ABS, cvs and brake light are on with a noisy alarm

Meanwhile I was driving several lights from the instrument panel turns on suddenly, including the ABS, CVS and Brakes lights. A disturbing noisy alarm start to sound immediately. I'd to slow my speed carefully and then after few minutes driving my 4Runner lost completely the brake system. The brake pedal turns too stiff and barely provide the capacity to stop the vehicle. It was a very scary experience. I had to continue my driving with the emergency break till I get to my home. Fortunately thats happened about 5 miles from my neighborhood and I react timely to avoid a crash. In my opinion Toyota should make a recall to fix this problem that have serious potential to provoke a dangerous crash and severe injuries to the driver and passengers in the case of driving on highways or country roads. Also, in my opinion this is one of the most "craping" designs that Toyota ever built. Not to mentioned the ridiculous price that Toyota's 'stealership' ask from 4Runner owners to repair the vehicle. Its important to add the poor stock part availability to fix the problem timely.

- , Caguas, Puerto Rico

Aug 162013

4Runner SR5 4.01

click to see larger images

abs not working properly

Togo problems con Los freno se predio la luz abs y. Tarik of. no tego freno nunca me avia paseo. Pero la pieza Cuesta mas que un proto de un carro Nuevo

Si la paseo a Otro Toyota