CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2005 Toyota 4Runner brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota 4Runner:

2005 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jul 252015

4Runner

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4runner. While driving approximately 55 mph, the ABS, auto lsd, and vsc trac warning indicators illuminated continuously. The brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to decelerate. The contact stated that the emergency brakes engaged and the vehicle stopped abruptly. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power booster assembly failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. Updated 04/13/16

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Nov 052014

4Runner 6-cyl

In miami, fl. At intersection of waterway drive and sw. 72 ave. Made left turn under rain, (all day raining) I lost control of the vehicle after turn. Came to a stand still and momentarily, I accelerated towards a tree aprox. 15 feet away, vehicle crashed against tree so severely that passenger side of frame bent bad (declared total lost by state farm insurance). Air bag did not deploy. I hit my against head against the windshield, hit steering wheel with rib cage, I was taken to South miami hospital emergency room. After two cat scans and two X-rays I was sent home to follow- up with my primary care physician I am still in pain mainly neck an shoulders and lately my lower back. Still have trouble sleeping, etc. Cannot do house chores. Pcp forbidden any type of exercise for the time being. Please advise. I surrendered the car to state farm insurance but did not sign the title over to them yet. I was unable to drive for over a month. Thanks in advance. Please contact me...updated 01/14/15

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 162014

4Runner

I own a 2005 Toyota 4runner. The frame is rusting so severely that it may not pass inspection next year at this time. I live in pa. I have heard that Toyota has acknowledged that they have had frame issues with the Tacoma (same chasis), the early Tundra (I own a recalled 2000 with same issue), sequoias (same chasis as Tundra...... please tell me that the will recall my 4runner. I love the vehicle but the rust on the frame will kill it.

- Emlenton, PA, USA

Dec 082013

4Runner 6-cyl

I was leaving my house and my brakes completely failed! foot to the floor and nothing happened. There was no warning or back up to help me stop. Luckily I was in my neighborhood and only ran into a neighbors yard (and did not hit any children). I had the car towed to a mechanic who told me the master cylinder was broken and needed to be replaced. After contacting Toyota, the parts dept acknowledged that this was a common issue, and then asked if I wanted the part (for a small fortune). Basically he said either you fix it, or don't drive the car anymore. In addition he compared the brake failure to a tv breaking! a tv"! a complete break failure puts not only the driver, but the general public in serious jeopardy. What has to happen for Toyota corporate to acknowledge this issue and issue a recall"

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Nov 262012

4Runner 8-cyl

Noticed after just purchacing a used 4runner fro a Toyota dealer ship that my brakes seem to be making a lot of noise. Went to my mechanic and he told me that the front calipers on both sides of the car were frozen due to rust and that he has noticed this issue with multible sequoias and 4runners. Had to have the whole brake system repairs costing me over 1000 dollars.

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Sep 202012

4Runner

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that while replacing the brake pads he noticed that both front calipers were not working properly. The contact decided to replace the calipers. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 172012

4Runner 8-cyl

The master brake cylinder completely failed thus rendering the brakes completely inoperable. To stop the vehicle, the car was placed in P and shut down. It was towed to the dealer for inspection. This car had been serviced per the manufactures schedule since it was purchased in 2005. For almost two years, we had heard an oscillating sound from the engine compartment. The local dealer was made aware of this, but unable to diagnose the problem. The last visit was 4 months ago at which time they did not find a problem, but the sound continued. Highly dangerous situation. Luckily there was not an accident.

- Denver, CO, USA