Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2006 Toyota 4Runner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota 4Runner:

2006 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Sep 072016

I have a 2006 Toyota 4 runner that has been developing excessive rust flaking on the rear axle housing, brake components, frame and rear suspension componets.we have had warranty work performed approx. 1 year ago and the mechanics at Toyota stated they needed to replace or repair various transmission lines before they would return the vehicle to my wife. I asked them what am I suppose to do about all the rust problems and they really didnt have a answer and said I need to talk to the service manager that was not there at the time. I have made every attempt to radicate this issue that has been getting worse over time. Vehicle is garage kept and was purchased new as we are the only owner of this vehicle. Myself and everyone else know Toyota knows about this problem and refused to do anything about it. My fear is that we are on a trip and have catastrophic failure of one or more components and getting in a accident. There was no accident yet.

- Robertsdale, PA, USA

Jan 152016

Excessive vehicle vibration. From review of forums this is a fairly common occurence with 2nd generation Tacoma (2005 to 2015). It seems to stem from the split driveshaft models (prerunners and 4X4S). In some cases it has resulted in vehicles dropping the driveshafts. In my truck, in one day it went to fine to what felt like the worst wheel imbalance I had ever felt. I immediately had my wheels balance and there was no improvement. That's when I went to the forums. Also,

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Feb 262006

4Runner 8-cyl

A couple of months after purchasing the new 4 runner listed above, I began to feel a clunk from the transmission when coming to a stop. The dealership said they were aware of it but could do nothing because there was no service bulletin published referencing the problem. They said a service bulletin existed on the Lexus GX470, which used the same drivetrain. To this date the vehicle still has the same problem, not only can you hear it but the inertia on occasions pushes the vehicle forward. Service bulletins are 00207 and 00106, NHTSA id# are 10021759 and 10021707.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Sep 122014

4Runner 8-cyl

The secondary air induction pump (aip) and switching valves failed on my 2006 4runner limited with V8. This is the same issue that is seen on Toyota sequoias and Tundra. Toyota has issued a special extended warranty for this system on those vehicles, but not on the 4 runners, even though the defective systems / parts are the same. Toyota customer case # 1409160408. This is a > $2000 repair to basically clear the check engine code and allow me to pass state inspection. I believe there should be a recall on this system or at least have Toyota cover all vehicles with this defective system, not just certain higher-volume model years.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Mar 012014

4Runner 6-cyl

I was driving my wife 2006 Toyota 4runner SR5 approximately 55-60 miles per hours on 88 West in California and the SUV experience sudden acceleration pass 70 miles per hours. I then step on the brakes as hard as I could but the SUV continues to accelerate faster than 70 miles per hour. While my foot is on the brake pedal at all time but the SUV could not slow down. The SUV then struck the rear of a pick up truck in front. After the impact, my SUV continued approximately a half mile and then I was able to slow down and bring to a stop in the right lane. Toyota down load the data on the SUV black box on 3/18/2014 and sent a letter to me and my wife this week stating that the gas pedal is normal.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 152013

4Runner 6-cyl

During snowstorm in 4 wheel drive mode; 4 wheel drive system would not engage due to failure of add - auto disconnecting differential actuator. This led to extremely dangerous safety hazard with vehicle sliding across overhead bridge. No warning of failure, just blinking 4 wheel drive indicator on dashboard. Toyota should be ordered to replace this part for free on all 4 wheel drive 4runners. This part has also been out-of-stock in the usa due to extremely high failure rate. Note: Failure occurs when vehicle is in driving mode in winter weather which represents a major safety hazard to Toyota 4runner drivers and occupants.

- Boothwyn, PA, USA

Jan 012007

Yes! I've been having a steering problem. "unintended veering" that I began to notice a month after I bought the vehicle (then at 13,000 miles). Something is causing the car to wander at high speeds. I also began to notice that after crossing a bridge (a lot of bridges on the way to work) the steering wheel will "jerk" back and forth really fast, which can be frightening. At other times it can seem to pulse. If you let go of the wheel the vehicle will veer to the left towards on-coming traffic (had it aligned twice -- still happens!) the dealership does not notice it when they drive it! so I eventually bought 4 brand-new tires and had it aligned again (all at the dealership at my expense) and I still have the problem. Anybody else that drives the vehicle notices it -- except people at the dealership! I was told I would lose $6,000 if I returned it. I did not, as that would set me back considerably. My father had just died and I was paying off the house too!

- Sayre, PA, USA

Feb 222010

I was backing out of a parking space, in reverse, when the engine began to rev. I hit the brakes and shifted into neutral. It revved at about 4000 RPM for a few seconds, then slowed down to a speed faster than normal idle. I put it back into reverse with brake firmly applied, at which point it returned to normal performance.

- Berlin, MD, USA

Dec 012006

Soon after purchasing my 2006 4runner V8 4WD I was pulling my boat and noticed when I was coming to a traffic light and braking that the engine was increasing in RPM and it became very difficult to stop. Had the traffic in front of me not been clear there would have been an accident. This happened several more times over the next few months, often when pulling the boat but not always. I later realized that the root cause of the problem was the proximity of the gas and break petals. When I pull the boat, and sometime other times, I wear flip-flops which are fairly wide and flat. The flip-flops are wide enough to accidentally bridge the two petals while driving. My 2001 4runner never had this problem. I have not had this issue recur since I stopped wearing flip-flops when driving the 4runner. The only reason I am reporting this is that I have read of sudden acceleration issues with Toyota's and thought this information might help the investigation. This problem appeared to be a sudden acceleration issue since the RPM's went up and the brakes could not stop the vehicle. I don't know if other Toyota's have the same proximity issue between the brake petal and gas petal. We have not seen this same issue on our 2004 sienna.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Jan 122007

4Runner 4-cyl

- while driving his 2006 Toyota rav4 at 60 mph the contact felt a jerking as if the vehicle were struck from the rear. He believes that the vehicleż's 4 wheel drive engaged causing him to lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle spun several times and flipped over multiple times coming to a rest on the vehicleż's roof. The airbag did not deploy. The driver was injured. The contact will have the vehicle, pictures, and a police report available.

- Delran, NJ, USA