CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2006 Toyota 4Runner steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota 4Runner:

2006 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Aug 202016

4Runner

1.) while driving the vehicle is very difficult to steer. The lastest incident occurred while traveling on the highway. The was constantly swaying and pulling to direction forcing me to grip the steering wheel ; pulling it in opposite direction so tightly that my wrist were throbbing. Once I exited the highway and came to a stop, the steering wheel turned almost 180 degrees by itself. I took it to a sears service center and the mechanic could not find anything wrong. Prior to my road trip, I had my vehicle checked out and nothing was found out of sorts. This as occurred on several other occasions. 2.) my vehicle will lose power if the key is left in the ignition for a brief period of time without the vehicle being started. It will also loose power if the vehicle doors are open, even if the keys are not in the ignition. I have to get a "jump start" often. I've had my battery replaced and the problem checked out at the my local Toyota dealer but the cause of the problem could not be detected. The latest incident occurred while I was waiting for a service representative to assist me at the Toyota dealership. I pulled into the service area, waiting for the service representative with the key in the ignition, but the car was not running. It could've been more than 5 minutes before the the representative got in my truck and tried to start it; but it was dead. It had to be jumped started. The battery was checked, as it usually is when this occurs; and it had full power.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Aug 012007

4Runner

Extreme wheel shimmy at highway speeds. 3 dealerships can't find a problem thought they all feel the vibration and shake. Tires are wearing prematurely. Front end components are wearing prematurely.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 012007

4Runner

Yes! I've been having a steering problem. "unintended veering" that I began to notice a month after I bought the vehicle (then at 13,000 miles). Something is causing the car to wander at high speeds. I also began to notice that after crossing a bridge (a lot of bridges on the way to work) the steering wheel will "jerk" back and forth really fast, which can be frightening. At other times it can seem to pulse. If you let go of the wheel the vehicle will veer to the left towards on-coming traffic (had it aligned twice -- still happens!) the dealership does not notice it when they drive it! so I eventually bought 4 brand-new tires and had it aligned again (all at the dealership at my expense) and I still have the problem. Anybody else that drives the vehicle notices it -- except people at the dealership! I was told I would lose $6,000 if I returned it. I did not, as that would set me back considerably. My father had just died and I was paying off the house too!

- Sayre, PA, USA

Apr 302010

4Runner 6-cyl

Steering has knocking sound while turning left or right, it started at about 62000 miles. Also replaced coil pack #2 and # 4 at 49000 miles had another go out a year later, dealership told me to replace the remaining 4 coil packs, by only replacing the corruped one will cause the ohers to fail.

- Lehi, UT, USA

May 052010

4Runner 4WD

2006 Toyota 4runner sport, 4.0L 4WD. Vibration felt via steering wheel, which occurs during acceleration/deceleration and across wide speed range. Higher frequency, low amplitude quality. Felt when vehicle is traveling in straight line, but has changed speed and is felt when steering wheel is turned slightly off center as in small course corrections. When accelerating or decelerating, there seems to be resonant feedback felt through the steering wheel as if there is directing contacting the steering rod. Dealer attempted to correct with an alignment of the frontend and rotation and balance of the tires/wheels. The result is that the original sensation is still present and the corrective attempt was not effective.

- Mount Vernon, IA, USA

Dec 192007

4Runner

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota 4runner. While driving at approximate speeds of 25 mph, the steering was abnormally veering to the right instead of being centered. When attempting a turn, the contact would have to over steer to maintain control of the vehicle. The vehicle had been to the dealer 4 times in an attempt to correct the failure and an alignment was performed each time. After repairs, the vehicle steering was still off but was not causing the vehicle to lean to the left. The vehicle has not been further repaired. The failure mileage was 6,998 and the current mileage was 18,105.

- Lodi, NJ, USA

Jan 242006

4Runner

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota 4runner. While test driving the vehicle the steering wheel felt very loose and the vehicle drove at low speeds ranging from 20-30 mph. The contact test drove another Toyota 4runner and did not have the same experience. The service department at the dealership stated that nothing was wrong with the vehicle. The contact has had nearly two collisions because of the lack of steering. The contact was currently in arbitration to have Toyota buy back the vehicle. The failure mileage was 140. The current mileage was 3,000.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Dec 222009

4Runner 8-cyl

2006 4 runner sport edition, V8 with 30,000 miles has clunking sound when stopping or accelerating from stop. Also, wanders from side to side at normal highway speeds.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Oct 152000

4Runner 6-cyl

Road contained a turn at which time the vehicle skidded "fishtailed" and upon correction skidded the other direction. Vehicle went into small culvert ditch and rolled over. Vehicle was traveling at 35 mph.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Aug 162006

4Runner 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle had a vibration in the steering column. The service dealer expressed this was a normal characteristic vibration. The vehicle was new and was never in an accident. The contact test drove another vehicle which had the same issue. The vibration was noticeable from 5 mph to any higher speed.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Jun 192006

4Runner 8-cyl

I have a steering problem on my 2006 Toyota 4runner V8 sport model, 9191 miles. While driving at highway speeds, the vehicle wants to veer from side to side and is difficult to keep in the proper lane. The dealership and Toyota district rep have inspected the vehicle and suggest that this is "normal" behavior for the vehicle and no repair is necessary. I feel that this is a dangerous problem and should be corrected.

- Neenah, WI, USA

May 262006

4Runner 4WD 8-cyl

: the contact stated at various speeds, the vehicle veers in either direction. The dealership was unable to determine the problem and the manufacturer sent a factory representative whom could not determine a problem either. Updated 06/15/06.

- Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA