Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2006 Toyota 4Runner suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota 4Runner:

2006 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Sep 072016

I have a 2006 Toyota 4 runner that has been developing excessive rust flaking on the rear axle housing, brake components, frame and rear suspension componets.we have had warranty work performed approx. 1 year ago and the mechanics at Toyota stated they needed to replace or repair various transmission lines before they would return the vehicle to my wife. I asked them what am I suppose to do about all the rust problems and they really didnt have a answer and said I need to talk to the service manager that was not there at the time. I have made every attempt to radicate this issue that has been getting worse over time. Vehicle is garage kept and was purchased new as we are the only owner of this vehicle. Myself and everyone else know Toyota knows about this problem and refused to do anything about it. My fear is that we are on a trip and have catastrophic failure of one or more components and getting in a accident. There was no accident yet.

- Robertsdale, PA, USA

Aug 202016

1.) while driving the vehicle is very difficult to steer. The lastest incident occurred while traveling on the highway. The was constantly swaying and pulling to direction forcing me to grip the steering wheel ; pulling it in opposite direction so tightly that my wrist were throbbing. Once I exited the highway and came to a stop, the steering wheel turned almost 180 degrees by itself. I took it to a sears service center and the mechanic could not find anything wrong. Prior to my road trip, I had my vehicle checked out and nothing was found out of sorts. This as occurred on several other occasions. 2.) my vehicle will lose power if the key is left in the ignition for a brief period of time without the vehicle being started. It will also loose power if the vehicle doors are open, even if the keys are not in the ignition. I have to get a "jump start" often. I've had my battery replaced and the problem checked out at the my local Toyota dealer but the cause of the problem could not be detected. The latest incident occurred while I was waiting for a service representative to assist me at the Toyota dealership. I pulled into the service area, waiting for the service representative with the key in the ignition, but the car was not running. It could've been more than 5 minutes before the the representative got in my truck and tried to start it; but it was dead. It had to be jumped started. The battery was checked, as it usually is when this occurs; and it had full power.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Nov 022015

Purchased a tcuv in 2012 and live in eastern nc. Took vehicle in for diagnostic and was told that frame was severely rusted. Was not made aware when purchased. Called Toyota and awaiting a call but rep says that its out of warranty and will not assist. Vehicle can't go from fine to severe in 3 years and was certified by Toyota to be fine or "like new". something has to be done and a recall has to be issued. This is an ongoing issues that many individuals are experiencing and a severe safety hazard should something go wrong on the freeway. No one should have to die before something gets done and it would be in poor taste for this to happen before this complaint moves from its current status to investigation by our government to protect us from companies like this.

- Apex, NC, USA

May 152014

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that there was an extensive leak of an unknown fluid under the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the hydraulic system needed to be replaced. Also, the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a second opinion who diagnosed that the suspension system needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Claysburg, PA, USA

Aug 012007

Extreme wheel shimmy at highway speeds. 3 dealerships can't find a problem thought they all feel the vibration and shake. Tires are wearing prematurely. Front end components are wearing prematurely.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 012007

Yes! I've been having a steering problem. "unintended veering" that I began to notice a month after I bought the vehicle (then at 13,000 miles). Something is causing the car to wander at high speeds. I also began to notice that after crossing a bridge (a lot of bridges on the way to work) the steering wheel will "jerk" back and forth really fast, which can be frightening. At other times it can seem to pulse. If you let go of the wheel the vehicle will veer to the left towards on-coming traffic (had it aligned twice -- still happens!) the dealership does not notice it when they drive it! so I eventually bought 4 brand-new tires and had it aligned again (all at the dealership at my expense) and I still have the problem. Anybody else that drives the vehicle notices it -- except people at the dealership! I was told I would lose $6,000 if I returned it. I did not, as that would set me back considerably. My father had just died and I was paying off the house too!

- Sayre, PA, USA

Jan 182011

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated stated that the bushings on all four wheels of the vehicle have failed. The contact heard a noise underneath the vehicle and noticed that the wheels began to bounce while driving over a bump in the road or a pothole. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that all four bushings or the stoppers needed to be replaced. The dealer also experienced the failure and heard the suspension making a squeaking noise. The warranty expired and the manufacturer told the customer that the failure occurred because of a lack of driving the vehicle. According to the contact the maintenance section of the manual stated that the bushings do not need to be checked until 100,000 miles. The manufacturer also stated this was not a problem that they have had with other vehicles. The failure and current mileages were 23,700. Updated 12/20/11

- Apopka, FL, USA

Aug 192009

I own a 2006 Toyota 4runner SR5 and I am having vibration problems at highway speeds above 60 mph. I have new tires installed, had them balanced twice in one week, and still have the vibrations. The vibrations began before I installed my new tires.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Sep 152006

4Runner 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 30 mph, the entire vehicle shook. The dealership inspected the vehicle three separate times. On one occasion, the tires were checked and balanced. The vehicle drove better for a short while, but the shaking persisted.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 192006

4Runner 8-cyl

I have a steering problem on my 2006 Toyota 4runner V8 sport model, 9191 miles. While driving at highway speeds, the vehicle wants to veer from side to side and is difficult to keep in the proper lane. The dealership and Toyota district rep have inspected the vehicle and suggest that this is "normal" behavior for the vehicle and no repair is necessary. I feel that this is a dangerous problem and should be corrected.

- Neenah, WI, USA