Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2008 Toyota 4Runner wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota 4Runner:

2008 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Apr 222016

Bridgestone dueler ht 684 11 tire sidewall separated at low speed, only 1 person in the vehicle. Sidewalls completely separated from rim to tread on same side directly across from each other. Speed was about 30 at the time on a city street. Also tire had 23000 miles and date code of 1114.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Aug 012012

4Runner 6-cyl

I took my vehicle in to the dealer for it's 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance even though it was a couple of thousand miles shy of the required service. They rotated the tires along with the other scheduled services. Shortly afterwards (less than 2 weeks) I noticed that it shimmied on the highway, something it had never done previously. I took the vehicle back to the dealer, dunning Toyota of ann arbor, where they performed another $50 worth of work and I was told that it should be better now, but my tires were cupped so it wouldn't run totally smooth again unless I purchased new tires. I was told that the tire cupping was most likely the result of it being off balance for a while which makes no sense to me since the dealer was the only one that had ever touched it. These tires are supposed to have a life of 50K miles. Be it poor service or poor tires, I'm truly disappointed. I was always under the impression that Michelin tires were highly rated. Now I'm not impressed by either the brand name nor dunning.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Oct 012012

There is corrosion in the frame and drive-train components. There is pitting, rusting throughout the frame undercarriage and the suspension and differential components. This barely 4yr old vehicle is a southern vehicle. Regardless, this corrosion is a safety issue in any vehicle let alone in a 4runner with a service inception date of 11/30/2008 with 19K miles. This is totally irresponsible of the manufacturer and they claim it is not covered by warranty. Yes, it (should be) covered by warranty and more importantly it is manufacturer's liability to correct safety/quality issue.

- Jackson, TN, USA