6.7

2013 Toyota 4Runner accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota 4Runner:

2013 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Dec 312014

4Runner 4WD 6-cyl

We experienced what can be best described as a forceful exploding sunroof while traveling at highway speed in our new Toyota 4runner. It was as loud as a shotgun blast - blowing a hole outward from the car - showering me and my family with glass. Below is the basic sequence of events surrounding the issue. 1.4runner was sitting for long period of time in cold weather (see temps for January 30th/31st). 2.we were driving 4runner for approx 15 minutes in stop and go city traffic (low speeds) 3.we hopped on I-205 headed back to eugene and were traveling at highway speed (65 mph) for approx 10 minutes 4.sunroof was closed. The interior sunroof sliding cover was back/open. 5.we heard an extremely loud noise comparable to a shotgun blast and felt a major change in pressure 6.myself, my wife, and kids were covered with chunks of glass - as well as very fine slivers 7.the sound of the wind over the hole in the sunroof was obvious and we looked up (we first thought we were hit by another car). 8.the initial hole was approx fist sized 9.as glass continued to fall into the car, we closed the interior cover. 10.glass continued to fly backwards off of our car into traffic. 11.when we stopped we could see that the glass was blown out (upwards) from the car. 12.the hole was then approx double in size. 13.it was dark by the time we arrived home in eugene so I took the photos the next morning. 14.we used tape to cover the hole and as an attempt to keep the remaining glass from falling down (worked pretty well) 15.also of note is the roof/skybox - the sunroof, and particularly the hole in the sunroof, are protected from above by the box - eliminating the possibility of a single object landing from above.

- Eugene, OR, USA