2013 Toyota 4Runner brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota 4Runner:

2013 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Apr 092016

4Runner

The vehicle was purchased used in June 2014. On 6 occasions starting several months after the purchase, the most recent on 04/09/2016 the brakes have seized when applying firm pressure on the peddle. Not a panic stop, but just trying to loose speed quickly. On each occasion the vehicle skidded. On each occasion the speed was greater than 30 mph but less than 45 mph. I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealer in wilsonville or but they were unable to duplicate the problem or identify the cause. This was on 08/14/2015. The mileage at the time was 40902. The incidents have all been on city streets. My greatest concern is that this brake incident will occur on wet pavement or snow while entering a curve. As this is a SUV with high center of gravity I'm concerned the vehicle will roll over. I have installed a dash mount camera to try and obtain video evidence of the event. Repair invoice is attached.

- Tualatin, OR, USA

Aug 142015

4Runner

I have always felt that something was wrong with the breaking on my 2013 Toyota 4runner SR5. My first experience was that when approaching a corner in which the road may not be smooth the ABS system completely disengaged and the brake pedal became useless and the vehicle kept going. The second incident was when my wife was driving she was approaching another vehicle that stopped abruptly, she applied the brakes and she reported that the vehicle would not stop and starting sliding into the back of a Lincoln Navigator, no damage to the Lincoln, however my vehicle suffered under 2500 dollars of damage. In both incidents the vehicles brakes did not stop the sliding vehicle at low speed due to the degraded road and ABS system not functioning appropriately.

- Germantown, MD, USA

May 132014

4Runner 6-cyl

When accelerating up to speed on an onramp to the freeway at about 40 mph traffic came to a halt and I had to brake quickly. I did not push the brakes much harder than normal and what felt like all 4 tires locked up and the ABS did not kick in. It also was duplicated in the same manner multiple times. Additionally, when I took it into the dealership, they were able to duplicate the lock-up, but they said it was the rear tires. When they contacted Toyota national service they were told it is normal and it is working as designed. I feel that this slows down the vehicle slower than ABS and in a very unsafe manner as it makes the SUV unpredictable to control. Additionally, I was able to duplicate it at slower speeds @25 mph when accelerating and moving quickly to the brake pedal it will lock up the tires. Each time, it does not take much more pressure than standard braking to cause this issue which was duplicated at the local dealership.

- Spokane Valley, WA, USA

May 272014

4Runner 6-cyl

The anti lock braking system is too sensitive, and engages wat to easily, and causes the tires to lock up and the vehicle to stop and surge. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. I took my vehicle to the dealer 2 weeks ago complaining about the issue, and they said it is a known issue for this vehicle and the Toyota Tundra pick up truck. They said that there was no fix. This is unacceptable, and is the reason why I am filing a complaint.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA