2014 Toyota 4Runner brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota 4Runner:

2014 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Oct 132016

4Runner

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota 4runner. After placing the shifter in the reverse position, the vehicle suddenly experienced unintended acceleration. While driving in reverse, the vehicle accelerated to 20 mph before crashing into a second vehicle. During the incident, the brakes would not stop the vehicle. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Greenwich, CT, USA

Apr 152014

4Runner

From the very beginning when I purchased my vehicle new, the brakes on my 2014 Toyota 4runner grab when anything other than light pressure is applied when the vehicle is in motion, no matter the speed. Initially I thought maybe my model didn't come with ABS. Upon further inspection I discovered that it does. But it also comes with brake assist, which sounds like this is what is causing my concern. When the truck computer interprets your pressure and speed of that pressure on the brake pedal is "urgent", brake assist takes over, and in my opinion, locks up the brakes! this is terribly dangerous!!!!! there have been several occasions that I felt the SUV would turn over because you have no control on dry pavement and all of the momentum has no where to go. I come to a screeching halt and the vehicle in front of me has to believe that I almost rear-ended them. At least if the pavement was wet I would have an opportunity to recover from a hydroplane situation. I am taking my 4runner into the dealership this Saturday to see if the sensitivity can be adjusted or even just turned off. This concerns me enough that I'm actually shopping for another vehicle.

- Rockwall, TX, USA