1998 Toyota Avalon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota Avalon:

1998 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Aug 062016

Wheel locked then the car will not start, alarm system light won't blink and I'm hearing a wineing noise under the hood.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Nov 262013

The contact owns 1998 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled as the instrument panel the lighting went blank. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for inspection where the contact was told that there was an electrical failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 230,000.

- Jacksonville Beach , FL, USA

Sep 192005

Avalon 6-cyl

On or about September 19, 2005. I pulled into a parking spot aside of a shoe shop and applied my brake to stop. The 1998 Toyota Avalon which I was driving refused to stop and continued on into the side of the building at maybe 30 mph. I was sure that I had applied extreme pressure to the brake but could not stop the car. I was so distraught that I assumed that my foot slid off the brake onto the accelerator. As I think back I am sure that I was on the brake and not on the accelerator. If I was on the accelerator I would have had a jolt forward with extreme acceleration. It was like I was in a slow motion dream world and the Avalon was under its own control. I reported it to my insurance company as being my fault since I had no other reasonable explanation. I am now sure that the Avalon was under its own control and not mine. Updated 03/24/10

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jul 042003

Avalon 6-cyl

Inside fan speed turns off randomly with security light and ac controls, outside temperature reading.

- New Windsor, NY, USA