2000 Toyota Avalon steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Toyota Avalon:

2000 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Dec 022014

Avalon

My Toyota Avalon has intermittently exhibited a loss of steering control when making a U-turn or hard turns. When it happened again two months ago, I had it checked by my mechanic and he said all the fluid levels are good and nothing showed up. Then the most recent incident this week was while trying to turn into a parking space. The car made a high-pitched squeal, the power steering locked up, and I had to keep moving slowly in forward and reverse to avoid an accident with other parked cars. I hurt my neck trying to turn the steering wheel. I got it into a space, went to the market, and then drove home as if nothing was wrong.

I researched online and found that many people had this problem. I called Toyota, who opened a case for me (1412090616) but told me that my car's VIN was not the right one for the recall on the steering column problems. I took it to the Toyota dealership, talked to the service manager, told them my complaints. They charged me $95 and told me that nothing was wrong because they couldn't duplicate the problem. I told them to investigate the steering but they wanted to bill me further for looking into it.

I am so frustrated because I have a potentially defective car which may cause a crash, Toyota won't investigate it, and I can't sell because I wouldn't want someone else to get in an accident.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA