2005 Toyota Avalon engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Avalon:

2005 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 172010

On Feb. 11, 2010 I took my Toyota Avalon in for the accelerator recall. On Feb. 17, 2010 I was pulling into a parking space on the grounds of the elementary school I worked at that day when my car accelerated. It jumped the curb sideswiping my car with a car that was parked on my right. After it hit the ground from jumping the curb it accelerated again heading straight toward the school building. I put two feet on the brake and pressed as hard as I could. The car did stop. The car was towed by aaa to a Toyota dealer in fort smith, ar (where the accident occurred). I bought the car at molle Toyota in kc, mo where I live (overland park, ks). The insurance adjustor came that day to check the damage. He said an investigator would be out to check it the "cause of impact". as of now, that has not happened. My insurance company keeps telling me to take the car back to kc for repairs and I told them I will not drive an unsafe car. I will not touch the car until someone investigates the reason for the acceleration. I have called my dealer, who has been wonderful; Toyota corporate who has been horrible (the first thing "barbara" said to me was "well, what do you want me to do about it?") she reluctantly said she would check it out. She called the Toyota dealer in fort smith and told him that Toyota inspectors would be out within 10 days but didn't know when. I called the highway transportation safety dept. Who said they didn't deal with that and to call my ks attorney general. I called the attorney general who told me to email this address. So... status: My car is still in fort smith, ar on a Toyota lot and nobody will take responsibility for what happened or help me with my next steps. I don't think anyone believed that the car accelerated after the recall fix. Finally, it appears that others around the country are having the same issue. I have an unsafe vehicle that I will not drive and don't know what to do next. Thank you.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Dec 192005

The contact owns S 2005 Toyota Avalon. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph on normal road conditions. There was a sudden increase of acceleration. The driver was able to gain control of the vehicle, and continued normal operation. The failure occurred intermittently at any given speed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician was unable to locate the problem. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 032010

I took my 2005 Toyota Avalon to the dealer to get fixed for its recall and when I got it back it was worse then before it accelerated funny it would make the car jerk all crazy I felt more unsafe in my car then the car is back in the dealership they said they need to reset the computer but lets see if it will work....hopefully because I want to be able to know that I am safe in my car I would of rather had it not fixed I felt more safe then....and they said they test drove it well they should of know that it shouldn't be doing that it would jerk at 25 mph then at 40 then after 60 it would ride smoothly....very scary experience took it back right away.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Mar 042010

I have a 2005 Toyota Avalon, back on 4/18/09 I took my car in to South bay Toyota to have them check out this problem-my car was hesitating B4 take off and it would excel faster. I was able to slow it down. But the result from Toyota was: Performed inspection could not confirm any abnormalities at this time. No pending malfunction codes stored in computer. No check engine light. Well I took my car back because it was one of the recall model for the pedal and they made the change, but now it is worst now, it accelerates faster than B4. While waiting for at a signal some times I can hear it slightly raring up.(I then put it in park) and hold the brake pedal down all the way. I am totally afraid of this car. I tried to trade it in to the Toyota dealer but for the SUV I want it was to much, and they weren't working with me at all.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 012010

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Avalon. He took the vehicle to the dealer March 1, 2010 for the accelerator replacement. Within ten minutes of picking the vehicle up from the dealer, while driving at 25mph and attempted to turn into a drive way the vehicle started to accelerate. He put his foot on the brake but the brake pedal was hard to depress and did not respond. He put the vehicle into neutral and shut the engine off. He was able to restart the vehicle and he drove it back to the dealer. The dealer stated it might be the computer because it was re-seated. He had not driven the vehicle since March 1st. The contact stated he is afraid he will experience the failure again. The dealer told him if he experienced the failure again he should put his right foot on the gas pedal and put his left foot on the brake. This will cause the gas supply to be cut off and will cause the engine to shut off. The failure mileage was 64,883 and the current mileage was 64,900.

- Trenton , NC, USA

Feb 192010

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Avalon. The contact was driving up an incline, approximately 25 mph. The vehicle began to accelerate beyond the cruise control set speed. The driver applied pressure to the brakes to disengage the cruise control. The authorized dealer was notified of the malfunction. The vehicle has not been repaired at this time. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Feb 242010

While traveling on a rural county road; approaching a curve; while attempting to slowly decease speed to go in curve the car accelerated and went faster, causing me to run across and off the road hitting a tree.

- Tylertown, MS, USA

Feb 282010

While en route from san juan to ponce, pr, I decided to use the cruise control on my Toyota Avalon 2005. It worked very well, until I decided to use the resume speed option of the cruise control. As soon as the resume movement was activated, the car accelerated suddenly and lunged forward at an unbelievable rate of speed that scared us, and I had to depress the brake pedal to disengage the resume option. This occurred twice and then I opted for not using the cruise control at all. Recently my car was serviced at furiel Toyota dealer here in ponce, where the recall requirements for the accelerator and oil hose were completed.

- Ponce, PR, USA

Feb 152010

We own a 2005 Toyota Avalon that was recalled and fixed..on 2/15/10 my wife was driving on the highway and stepped on the accelerator pedal and nothing happened and the car actually started to slow down...she again pressed the accelerator pedal and the car performed normally. We reported the problem to our dealer...hopefully it will not happen again!

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 102005

The contact had a 2005 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that at the end of a long road, which he takes everyday, there is a tight spot were people slow down to make what is a very tight curve that then goes up hill. The contact tried slow down but the vehicle did not respond. The vehicle started to speed up as the contact tried to slow the vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed when the contact crashed into the large rocks on the side of the road. The contact was traveling at 55 mph. The failure mileage was 46000 miles at the failure and currently had 46000 miles.

- Harrisville, NY, USA

Jan 012010

I have owned and driven a 2005 Toyota Avalon since May 20, 2005. Now it has about 35,000 miles on it. From time to time, estimated at seven or so instances, I noted a dramatic increase in engine RPM when applying the brakes. This happened only during brake application, not at other times. In each instance of unexpected acceleration, I was able to stop the car with a firm, steady application of pressure on the brake pedal. After the first recall for the floor mat, I removed the mat on the driver's side. I was skeptical that the mat was a problem because it is a heavy, oem, fitted mat which was anchored with two factory installed hooks on the floor. They engage the mat through eyelets near the mat's trailing edge. With the mat removed, I experienced another sudden acceleration incident in the garage of hartford hospital. It was close to a disaster but the application of heavy, steady pressure on the brake pedal stopped the car. I considered the possibility that the brake and accelerator pedals are configured or positioned so that both are activated at the same time. On close examination I concluded that was unlikely. I now conclude these failures have been caused by a defect in the electronic system in the car. I have reported this to ctdot. A representative(?) phoned to refer my correspondence to federal dot.

- Newington, CT, USA

Jun 162005

Toyota Avalon 2005. Although I have not experienced a sudden power surge or runaway car, I do believe there is a link between the accelerator and the electronics. Ever since I have owned the car, brand new, in the twilight hours of driving, the dashboard panel lights will dim and go bright when I step on or let off the gas pedal. I reported this to Toyota when I first bought the car, but because it didn't react when the supervisor was in the car with me he couldn't report it or say what the problem was.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jan 072010

My wife drove our 2005 Toyota Avalon into the parking lot at the tarzana, ca post office. She pulled into a parking spot facing the post office, took her foot off the accelerator pedal and started applying the brakes. The car surged forward, crossing a walkway and ran into a concrete block planter in front of the post office. The car suffered substantial body and radiator damage and is now being repaired at a cost of over $8000. The air bags did not deploy and my wife was not injured. The car was purchased new and has approximately 30,000 miles on it. It has been serviced on a regular basis and was in excellent condition prior to the accident. The car is kept garaged and is unlikely to have had condensation in the accelerator pedal system. The weather at the time of the accident was clear and sunny with the temperature in the 70's. the car is still undergoing repair and we anticipate receiving it sometime this week (2/2/10). We have contacted Toyota and they sent an inspector to look at the car on 1/27/10. We have had no report back from Toyota as to the cause of the problem. The floor mat was checked the day of the accident and it was firmly in place with the floorboard clips holding the mat to the floor. I checked the floor mat after the accident and it had not moved or interfered with the accelerator pedal. My wife could not have been moving forward at more than 5 miles/hour as she was just moving into the parking spot at the time of the accident. Obviously, the car must have accelerated to at least 15-20 miles/hour in the space of approximately 5 feet before running into the planter. It is beyond belief that the problem was caused by a sticking accelerator pedal.

- Tarzana, CA, USA

Nov 022009

My complaint is the quick so called fix of the acceleration pedal that Toyota says is the problem. The acceleration pedal is not the problem. From my personal experience with this problem with our 2005 Toyota Avalon occurred after starting the car with my foot on the brake, and shifting the gear into reverse. I had not touched the acceleration pedal so therefore it isn't just the pedal even if the pedal is faulty.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jan 112010

65 mph interstate 64 E exiting to fort eustis blvd vehicle accelerated uncontrollably. While trying to control with brakes (standing on the brakes) and steering, the passenger moved the gear shift to neutral. Occurrence: Once reported to dealer: Advised not to drive the vehicle. Nothing else was suggested but to wait until Toyota issues a notice.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jan 212010

I have a 2005 Toyota Avalon. On at least three occasions, I have been involved with extreme acceleration problems with my vehicle. I have been unable to stop the car although I was applying the brakes. This was extremely frightening to me and caused my bold pressure to rise severely...the second incident was reported directly to the safety department of Toyota..on December 28th,2009. Nothing was done to correct the problem...

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jan 052010

Sudden acceleration in my 2005 Toyota Avalon. The mat did not interfere with the accelerator. Without looking at the vehicle Toyota has maintained that the mat is the cause of the accident leading me to believe that about what Toyota knows about this problem and is not being candid with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration when informing them of the issue.

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 122009

Avalon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Avalon. Contact stated while parking the vehicle going up a ramp the vehicle accelerated and crashed into wall. The contact thought at the time her foot slipped on the brake pedal. The contact was not hurt and the vehicle was repaired. One year after the first incident, while pulling into the driveway the vehicle surged again. This time the contact was able to break and stop the vehicle from always crashing into the garage. Contact feels this vehicle is unsafe and refuses to drive the vehicle. Current mileage was 47,000 and failure mileage was 27,000. Updated 1/11/09 updated 01/15/10.

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 082009

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Avalon. While entering a highway the accelerator pedal became stuck to the floor. The vehicle accelerated up to 80 mph. He had to manually lift the pedal from the floor to decelerate. He was advised that he could bring the vehicle in as a trade-in. The failure mileage was 56,400.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Sep 122005

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Avalon. When attempting to apply the brakes, the vehicle accelerated without touching the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was shifted into neutral to decelerate. The vehicle was towed to two different dealers, but the technicians could not remedy the failure. A complaint was filed with the manufacturer, but no assistance was provided. The current mileage was 45,000. The failure mileage was 11,000. Updated 11/09/09 the consumer stated his foot was on the brake when the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Updated 11/09/09

- Tappahannock, VA, USA