2008 Toyota Avalon accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Avalon:

2008 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Dec 182013

My laser cruise control became unreliable toward the end of 2013. I had used it on a daily basis for over 5 years and am very familiar with the way it should perform. When tracking a vehicle directly ahead of me on a straight and level road, the laser control should maintain a safe distance and a speed that is essentially identical to the "lead" vehicle. This has not been the case for the past 7 months. My car would often continue to maintain a speed that was faster than the "lead" car, as it was safely slowing down, and come so close that I would have to jam on my breaks. I brought it into the dealer, who insisted that the laser cruise control had been damaged in an accident (therefore my extended warranty would not apply) and I would have to make a claim on my car insurance. My insurance company as well as my repair shop could see no damage that would have caused the malfunction. Eventually my insurance company agreed to pay for the "repair". after the dealer repaired the car with a new laser control sensor the problem has continued, although not as often. I've had it back to the dealer several times and they insist it meets all specifications and is performing to manufacturer's specs, and that there is nothing more they can do for me. Corporate Toyota basically washes their hands of the incident by saying everything related to this matter is at the dealers discretion. Although I have not had an accident yet, this malfunctioning "safety" feature puts me at jeopardy. I fear for my life every time I use it. It would seem to me that others have had similar problems, and may have had significant accidents as a result. I hope you will look into this matter.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Oct 152007

This is not a complaint but some information regarding the Toyota recall. I got a 2008 Toyota Avalon in October of 2007. When selecting options for my car, I asked for floormats which were clearly shown in the Avalon's promotional material. When the Avalon came (Oct 2007) it did not have the requested floor mats. I asked the dealer about this and he simply said they were not available. I pointed out that they were in the Avalon booklet and he again said they were not available. I then did what most probably did, because they wanted to protect their new car, and that was to purchase floormats at an auto supply. My concern is that the automaker clearly knew that there was a problem with floormats at least 2 and a half years ago and did not warn me of this nor anyone else. This resulted in tragic consequences for some. I think they need to be held accountable for withholding this information until after there were deaths related to this problem.

- Gastonia, NC, USA