2.7

2008 Toyota Avalon lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Avalon:

2008 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Jul 242011

Avalon 6-cyl

On June 24, 2011 we took a trip to Arkansas. As we were going in the mountains, we found that we had no high beams on our headlights. On returning to fresno we took it into the Toyota dealer and he informed us that the headlight had exploded and would cost $2500 to replace. After a discussion with the dealer and Toyota, the dealer fixed them. Then in September 2012 the driving lights went out. We took the car in to the Toyota dealer and he informed us that they have exploded again. They want $2500 to replace them again. I do not understand why they want to charge the customer when it is a manufacturing problem. Can you imagine driving on back roads at night (which we do) and have the lights go out? I think this is a safety issue and makes it a very expensive car to operate yearly. I understand that this is a ongoing problem with the 2008-2010 models with hd headlights.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Avalon 6-cyl

This car has had all 4 headlights burn out at one time or another. Now for the second time, the left hid low beam has gone out. I'm sure you are aware these are expensive to replace. About 2 years ago Toyota offered to reimburse owners for replacement of high beam halogen bulbs as long as the vehicle had less than 35,000 miles at the time of the malfunction. Recently though, since this was a problem with a larger number of cars, Toyota expanded this to a service bulletin. In this bulletin they will replace both complete headlight assemblies so long as the vehicle is less than 5 years old and has less than 75,000 miles on the odometer. My mother-in-law just had this done on her Avalon, which failed an inspection because both halogen high beam bulbs were shattered, which was purchased at the same time my wife's was. My wife uses her Avalon to commute 90 miles round trip to work. The car currently has 105,000 miles on the odometer since it was purchased new December 8, 2007. Due to the mileage Toyota is not interested in replacing the headlight assemblies on her car. This is a safety defect that could cause a crash. I believe there should be a recall campaign to rectify the problem.

- Washington, NC, USA

Jul 012009

- Washington, NC, USA

Jul 072012

Avalon 6-cyl

I was driving at night and noticed my headlights were not on. Both seemed to have burnt out at the same time.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 072012

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Avalon 6-cyl

While driving on an interstate, both of the Avalon's headlights went completely out, leaving me without any headlights. Turning the headlight switch on and off would sometimes reactivate one or both of the headlights but they would eventually fail again. The failure has continued to recur. Toyota dealer states that the headlight assembly for both headlights needs to be replaced. Toyota is aware of the headlight assembly defect in the 2008 Avalons, thus extended the original warranty, however, my Avalon was already beyond the extended warranty so it was not repaired due to the cost. The failure mileage was 82,000 and the extended warranty covered mileage up to 73,000. Repair cost is estimated at $2550. The failure is due to manufacture defect and not a wear and tear/usage issue. I then called the manufacturer and was told no further assistance would be given since the original warranty was extended and it didn't matter that the headlight failure happened beyond the covered mileage.

Avalon

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving her vehicle, the headlights failed to illuminate. The contact had to turn the headlight switch on and off several times before the lights began to illuminate. The failure recurred several times later. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for an inspection and the contact was informed that the headlight assembly for both headlights needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The failure mileage was 82,000.

Mar 082012

Avalon

Driving home from work I noticed that my head lights weren't on after being on when I left my job, so I turn them back on and about another 20 miles they were off again I experience this for about a month and was wounding this car isn't that old so something has to be done because the car is not that old for the lights to be going out there is no shortage or any other electrical problem with it. Went to a electrical shop and they informed me that most Avalons have the same problem so I'm writing this report to see what I need to do next so this won't occur for the next 5yrs or so. It happens all the time at night when I drive eventually they will not come on at all is this suppose to be happening I need to know. Thank you,

- Lynwood, CA, USA

Mar 082012

- Lynwood, CA, USA

Apr 052010

Avalon 6-cyl

The daytime driving light/highbeams blew out on one side. I had the light replaced in Florida on a trip. Later in the same year the same light blew out and I took it to a dealer in waldorf, md this dealer, with much reservation, replaced the light. A week later both daytime/high beam lights blew out. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the headlight assemblies of both light. Now a year and a half to 2 tears later both lights have exploded again. At this point the car has 71009 miles on it. Toyota says they will fix it. However, if they fix it the same way again I'm sure the same problem will return in due time. Lighting at night is a very serious safety issue as I found out this weekend and this safety problem needs to be fixed properly.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Apr 052010

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Nov 182009

Avalon 6-cyl

Headlights flicker and then go out completely. This is a repeated issue. Headlights on both sides will go out while driving. Sometimes the headlights will come back on; other times will not. This is applicable to the low beams as well as the high beams. Have notified Toyota and they will not address the issue properly. Toyota will not admit there is a defect in the equipment in the 2008 Avalon. Many other Avalons in this model year are experiencing similar issues. This is a significant safety issue.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 182009

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 112011

Avalon 6-cyl

Sept. 11, 2011, while parked, at night, automatic headlights on, both high beam headlight lamps exploded. The very next day, I took my Avalon to the dealer and was told that since the car was above 36,000 miles, that the repair would cost $2,700. I was told that both lamps and assemblies must be replaced. I was presented a toyoto service bulleting stating that both assemblies must be replaced. Got no options from the dealership. Nov. 9, 2011, I received a warranty enhancement notice stating that my warranty was extended to 75,00 miles and the it covered the head lamps and assemblies. It took until Jan. 10, 2012, to settle this issue. The lamps and assemblies were replaced by the company and I received a full reimbursement.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 012011

Avalon 6-cyl

My high-beam lights went out over a year ago on my 2008 Toyota Avalon touring (hid light package), not sure on mileage but approx. 60,000. I took it into the dealer I purchased the Avalon from (and also bought the top dollar extended warranty for 100,000 miles). They said the entire headlamp assembly was bad and needed replaced on both sides. Said it would be about $2,800. I thought my warranty should replace it, they disagreed. They said I could continue to drive it because my low beams were fine and didn't see any future problems happening. A few months later, I received a warranty extension from Toyota for this exact problem. They would replace the headlamp assembly's at no charge to me if I had less than 72,000 miles. I had about 80,000 and they refused to fix it. On 4/13/2012, driving over an hour home from dinner, my driver side low beam started flashing and went out completely. In the dark. I took my car to a Toyota dealership today to fix the bulb. They said it would be $380 ish to replace the one low beam bulb. But said both high beams and both fog lights were out too. And they thought this was a result of the headlamp assembly's and thought I should replace them both, back to the $2,800 for lights!!! I called Toyota customer service and complained but they said they couldn't do anything because I was past the 72,000 mark. This is a defect and shouldn't be based on miles or time. They posted a warranty extension, admitting their problem, but only for people who don't drive many miles. I feel taken by Toyota. This could have (and may in the future) cause serious injury or death. Make it right Toyota!!!

- Rochester, IN, USA

Jun 012011

Avalon 6-cyl

Low beam / driving lights on passenger side turn off after approx 3 - 5 minutes of operation. If light switch or engine is shut off and restarted, light resets and operates for approx 3-5 minutes and then shuts off again. Also, both high beam bulbs are inoperative. Bulbs have shattered leaving glass shards inside the highbeam light housing. Only the left front low beam light is working which Toyota replaced at 27,000 miles.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 062011

Avalon 6-cyl

The low beam/high beam bulbs turn off while I am driving. Sometimes the left side and sometimes the right side. If I turn them off then back on they both turn on fine but later turn off again and it keeps happening. I replaced all bulbs with new ones and after installing them, the same exact problem happens and nothing has changed. My car has less then 50K miles and had no electric work done to it since I purchased it so I am almost positive that it is a manufacture defect.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Sep 012011

Avalon 6-cyl

Running/bright beams both went out on left and right around Sept 2011. Lites use the same lamp. Had repaired at freeman Toyota in hurst tx. Was not told it was a temporary fix. Toyota issued warranty enhancement notice sometime after that repair. Right lamp out again now April 2012. Dealer says they cannot repair/replace and to deal with Toyota direct for refund, etc.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 162009

Avalon 6-cyl

The high beam bulbs burn out all the time. I have replaced the high beam bulbs 4 times in three years. Toyota issued a service bulletin regarding the problem, but only extends the factory warranty to 72K miles. My bulbs initially burned out--simultaneously--at 83K. Judging from the comments on Toyota forums and user websites, this is a very common problem. Toyota should correct problem for all Avalon owners, not just those with minimal miles.

- Lake Winnebago, MO, USA